Ava's eyes are glimmering.

The girl stops for a minute and inspects Ava's face.

"Hey, what's up? You good?"

"Fuck- yeah," Ava replied, surprised, "you're just so beautiful."

The girl's face flushed pink, and she hid her face behind her hands.
"Shut up," she murmured.

"It's trueeee," Ava sang.

"I wish I could be with you right now. I miss you."

Ava laughed, "We just saw eachother a few hours ago at school."

"But I want to see you right now," the girl pouted.

Ava simply smiled in admiration.

Then, as if on cue, she heard the door slam from downstairs. "Fuck Kay, I gotta go. Dad's home, he can't know about us."

"Are you still doing that shit, Ava?" Kay scoffed from the computer, "You can't just keep us a secret, you make me feel like I mean nothing to you."

"No, Kay, you mean so much to me," Ava tried to reason, "I just- my dad can't know, you don't get it."

"No, I do get it. You're fucking ashamed of me."
Kay laughed.

Ava's bedroom door opened, and her dad stood at the doorframe. She stared at him, fear in her eyes.

Kay didn't notice Ava's change of demeanour.
She continued.

"You don't even let me kiss you in public, you have to fucking let people know, including your dad, that you're not straight. Grow some fucking balls."

"I knew it, you FUCKING FAGGOT," Ava's dad yelled, walking towards her.

Ava shut her computer, backing away.

"No dad, please, I'm not dating her or anything we-"

"You fucking whore, is this who you've been meeting up with every night? Fucking dirty bitch."

"Get the fuck away from-" she yelled back, interrupted by a blow to her face.

She staggered backwards, looking up and seeing her dads fist clenched, shaking.

"Please dad," she sobbed, "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, please don't hit me, I won't ever talk to her again, I'm so sorry..."

He walked over to her, and punched her in the nose.

She groaned, seeing blood drip from her face to the floor.

"You fucking FAG."
Ava was pushed to the floor.
"Fucking girls now, are we?"

A kick in the stomach.

Ava clutched her stomach in pain, ears ringing.

"You need to be fucked till you're normal again. Slut."

Ava grimaced as she felt his hard shoe slam into her stomach again.

"No," she groaned, "I like boys, I just-"
She was silenced by a hand on her face.

He had grabbed her chin harshly, and she could smell his hot breath laced with the smell of cheap vodka.

"You are NOT my daughter."

He threw her head on the ground.

"Pack your shit, you're not welcome here."

He walked out, Ava barely hearing the last few words exiting from his mouth: "fucking faggot."

She laid there, tears and blood mixing on the floor near her face.
This had never ever happened before. Her dad had never laid a finger on her. He had a temper, yes, but her mom was always the one receiving the physical damage.

She thought back to that day 9 years ago.
"Don't worry, he would never EVER hurt you. No one would hurt beautiful, pretty Ava."
She lied. Her mom lied to her. She said he would never hurt her. She said he would never hurt her. She said he would never hurt her. SHE LIED.

She got up as quick as she could and started packing. She knew had to leave before her mom got home-

She knew what would happen if she wasn't gone when her mom arrived.

She would defend Ava.
Her dad, drunk, would get mad at her too.
He'd hit her.

She needed to get out. She packed her shit, went out the front door, got in her car and started driving. She didn't know where to. There were dozens of missed calls from Kay and her mom. She ignored them.

She lived on the streets for two weeks before caving in and asking to stay with her friend Luke. He welcomed her into his home, helping her deal with the trauma that comes with that kind of father.

She never called Kay back. She deleted her contact and tried to forget about her.
She knew it was shitty. She knew it wasn't Kay's fault. She knew she was being a total fucking bitch. She knew she probably made Kay feel scared, guilty and upset.
She couldn't confront it though. She refused to. She couldn't talk to her again.

She did respond to her mom, though. Over the years, after she moved to Florida, she stayed in contact with her mom.
The situation was too dangerous for her mom to move out of her house and get away.

Ava tried to help her so many times, but it was useless.

She tried to forget about her years at home. To push it away, pretend it didn't happen.

Though of course, as trauma happens, so do the consequences. Her first 20 years of her life caused such a huge effect on her personality as a whole and it's evident how it shows itself.

She had never told ANYONE about this, except for Luke. And she never planned on it. She would go to the grave with the secret.

Word count: 1334

I know this chapter is sorta out of nowhere but i wanted to give a bit of backstory lol.

:))