Learning to trust

Start from the beginning

Jason held me close as he walked. Taking each step steadily. My cheeks burned as I blushed, trying to ignore everyone's eyes on us as we finally made it to the dining room.

They smiled, greeting us happily. Jason spoke to Carla and the rest of his staff in Italian, thanking them for making lunch. He was always so kind to the people that worked for him.

He still held me close, keeping me warm in his arms. I yawned, then furrowed my eyebrows. I didn't feel tired. My body actually felt pretty well rested.

Jason and I had taken a good nap after spending time outside...well, good until I woke up feeling sick from a bad dream...a bad memory.

After our talk though, I did feel better, that wasn't a lie, but I still felt sick. Not physically, but mentally.

Even though Jason was here beside me, loving me, Jack's words still haunted me. Twisting inside my head. His eyes devouring me, causing me to tremble under his gaze. His hands searing my skin as he drug his fingers down my chest then sides.

He knew hurting me would hurt Jason. He loved it. He enjoyed it. Along with the sound of my pitiful whimpers and the painful cries they later turned into.

Bial rose in my throat, making me gag as the memories of that night continued playing over in my head. It was still so vivid. As if I was still there. Still in his sick and twisted mind game.

My breath hitched and a shudder ripped through me. With trembling arms, my hold on Jason tightened, gripping his shirt desperately in my hands.

Get a hold of yourself Tim! Come on!

Jason stopped talking and looked at me. His eyebrows furrowed tightly in concern as he carefully set me down, holding my waist to steady me.

He moved a hand up he felt my forehead. No doubt checking for a fever. "You okay? You're starting to really worry me."

I raised an eyebrow slightly and grabbed his hand, gently pushed at it, moving it away from my face.

I wasn't okay. Honestly, I was anything but that. Even though Jack was dead, he still had a hold on me. Somehow.

Breathing out slowly, I managed to force a smile, looking up at Jason tiredly. His expression didn't change though, still looking distressed and tense.

When he moved his hand back up to my cheek, I let him, allowing his warm skin to relax me. At least a little.

"I'm okay. Just tired and a little cold." He nodded, but seemed skeptical as he helped me into a chair beside Damian who fixed me with a look.

Shit. He'd seen that. Maybe he won't ask if I was okay.

That was usually something Dick did. He was the overprotective brother. Damian didn't normally bother me about things. Although, with how our relationship was evolving, he might.

Suddenly, something was being pushed over my head and down past my shoulders. The slight panic that teased through me stopped though once I realized it was Jason's sweatshirt.

The smell of it immediately relaxed me as I fitted my arms through the holes and turned to look up at Jason. His smile was warm and welcoming as he fixed the large item around my body.

He then kissed my head before sitting on the other side of me, resting his arm against the back of my chair. I felt warm and giddy from this act and took a deep breath, sighing out slowly.

I made myself busy putting food on my plate. Although, now I just felt queasy.

The thought of keeping things from Jason kept poking at my chest. He did so much for me. He didn't deserve this lie. It wasn't lying really, was it? It was just not telling the whole truth.