"That's good to hear, but I don't mean about that. I mean with Diego and Barnaby." Sarah stared quizzically at her. "You were always the last person to know if someone had feelings for you at school. It looks like things haven't changed much."

"Penny, what are you talking about? I'm perfectly aware of Diego's feelings for me."

"Yes, but I don't think you understand how strongly he loves you. And the same goes for Barnaby."

"Barnaby and I broke up ages ago. And we've both seen other people since then."

Penny sighed. "I'm just telling you what I've noticed since you've been here. Be careful you're not stringing them both along."

"I'm not! I'm bloody going out with Diego, aren't I? How could that be stringing him along?"

Penny picked up the garland of bats again. 

"Well, can you honestly say that you love him as much as he loves you?"

Sarah said nothing as Penny added the last few bats to the garland, then placed it on the wall with a sticking charm.

"There's no rule that says you have to fall in love at the same time," she muttered, while the two of them placed black tablecloths over the scratched wooden tables Barnaby had brought into the sitting room for them. 

"Of course not," said Penny. "But after a time, perhaps, if you still haven't grown to love someone, its time to move on. I'm only saying, its something to think about."

Barnaby entered the room to place brownies and pumpkin pasties on the tables, and the girls ceased talking of the matter, though Sarah's thoughts would be on little else until the party finally began. 

It was a small affair, with a few sweets, some pumpkin juice, and a quiet gramophone in the corner, but as usual, Penny was right. Even the sight of the decorations seemed to lift the spirits of the refugees, some of whom had been cooped up on the farm for over a month with little to distract them. 

While the majority of the guests stood to the sides, chatting and enjoying refreshments, several people, especially the younger ones, had donned the costume masks the girls had created and were dancing in the center of the sitting room. Sophia, who toddled along in her puffskien costume, was a crowd favorite. 

"I must admit," Lupin remarked to Penny, "I thought the idea of a party rather...unnecessary, but everyone does seem to being enjoying themselves."

Penny was glowing. "Of course!" she said, from behind her colorful cat's mask. "Witches and Wizards simply must celebrate Halloween. It's our birthright."

A slow song began to play on the gramophone, and Penny set down her cup. "Ooh, I bet I can convince Talbott to dance with me to this one!" She hurried over to pull him out of his armchair to dance to between two other couples. 

"Enjoying the party?" Lupin asked Sarah.

"Oh, yeah. It beats endless wandering in the woods, that's for sure."

Lupin nodded. "I'm sorry the Order has been...out of touch recently. I confess the Death Eater movement has all but squashed our activity of late. All the power, the intel, the resources, currently lie with them."

"What can we do?"

Lupin sighed. "At the moment, my only task is to get these people to safety, and to trust that Harry's out there somewhere, finding a way to end this war."

"That's a lofty task for a kid," she remarked.

"Indeed. But, I do believe that if anyone can accomplish that goal, its Harry. Though I wouldn't be ashamed to place bets on you, either."