9: Knowing is a Curse

Start from the beginning

During these times of liveliness and happiness spreading throughout the village, Naruto had found himself stuck at home doing some homework for Teruya - she'd mentioned something about poisons and the blond was simply curious. Although, she had asked him to take a break and enjoy the festival. "Just try to have a good time, Naruto! Maybe try some new foods while you're at it. All I've seen you eat during lunch is ramen." She had exclaimed to him with an eager grin.

The blond-haired academy student had assured her that he'd try but, lo and behold, here he was, at home not enjoying the festival. He just didn't feel the need to. So, as the parties ragged on throughout the day and night, Naruto studied quietly by himself. He worked diligently into the second night of the Kyuubi festival until a knock at his door interrupted his thoughts. He made his way over to the door, opening it up only to come face-to-face with Iruka. His teacher had several bags in his hands, a beaming smile on his face, "Happy early birthday!"

Although shocked, Naruto eagerly let the man in, watching as Iruka set the bags on the boy's small coffee table. He started pulling out numerous things from his shopping bags - clothes, food, and little trinkets filled up space within the bags. Iruka watched his student examine everything with critical eyes, picking up some of the articles of clothing and holding them up to his body as a form of measurement. "I don't know what to say..." It was all the blond-haired academy student could mumble out, eyes filling with tears at the numerous gifts after having seen the expensive price tags on some of the items.

But Iruka had merely waved a hand, wrapping an arm around the boy's shoulders. "I wanted you to have a good birthday. From what I overheard from the other students the other week, you rarely ever celebrate the Kyuubi festival, but I thought you'd still like to enjoy some of the limited-edition stuff, like..." With a grin, he reached for a bag Naruto hadn't noticed, pulling out several containers, "Limited-edition flavors for cup ramen!" His teacher handed the small cups over, presenting them with a beaming smile.

Naruto had grinned, a little more life in his eyes - now that's what he likes to hear!

While the festivities and the forever parties didn't really appeal to him, the blond did really appreciate Iruka taking time out of his day to come to sit down and share limited-edition ramen with him, enjoying some of the small things about life. So, they ate together with lively attitudes, laughing and speaking with one another over this or that throughout the night. And when Iruka finally had to leave as it was nearing almost midnight, Naruto felt a pang in his chest as if his heart was begging his teacher not to leave him, to stay.

But he let him leave, a strained smile on his face, shutting the door and wishing for Iruka to turn back and keep him company. He was alone again, he found himself thinking as he laid in bed, wide awake.

Shortly after, on the fifth night of the Kyuubi festival, another knock sounded at his door. Although annoyed at having been disturbed a second time during the week-long festivities, Naruto still opened the door - it was Shikamaru! With his... parents? 

He let them in without a word, still perturbed by their sudden appearance at his apartment. The three Nara's walked inside without much fuss, Shikamaru already moving over to the boy's couch to make himself at home. Shikaku and his wife, Yoshino, explained to the blond-haired academy student that they would like it if Naruto would join them in lighting lanterns for those they'd lost in the Kyuubi attack. For the Nara couple, it was fellow clan members, family, and friends.

He was almost quick to decline, not really feeling up to it, but Yoshino stopped him. Shikamaru's mother had looked rather emotional when she stepped forward, his best friend rolling his eyes, mumbling out, "Troublesome woman..." She explained to Naruto that she didn't like the idea of leaving someone who'd lost another alone on this day of grieving. Her voice shook, practically begging the boy for him to join their small family.