Chapter 25

Courtney's POV

I moved the curtians from the window leading to the hallway. I could barely see Daniel down the hallway but he was there. He was reading a book. 

I looked around for something to hide me. I figured that if I went straight instead of turning, I could hide behind the wall but that small gap was where I was exposed. 

I grabbed a curtain on those moving carts and I pushed it out the door. I moved it with me as I walked forward. As soon as I was out of sight from Daniel, I left it there. I went around following signs to get out of the hospital and I finally made it. 

But then it hit me. 

These bills are gonna be huge. 

I can't afford it! 

I took a cab home and I had to explain to the driver that I didn't just murder someone and I had just got out of the hospital from a traumatizing experience. 

I don't know if he believed it but I was home. I had this black band around my waste for the broken rib and these padded things on my lungs for the pneumothorax. I went right upstairs and I went to bed. 

Daniel's POV

I was reading a book. I was bored out of my mind. I've been here for almost four days. I left once to talk to Mr. Miyagi. I owed him a huge apology. I told him everything. From Terry to Courtney. He agreed to help me. I needed to unlearn everything I learnt, he said. After this, I realized I'm a shitty person. How could I do this? How did I let this happen to me? 

"Hello, Mr. LaRusso, right?" A doctor asked. 

"Yeah, that's me." I said putting the book down. 

"Can I help you?" He asked. 

"I'm still here for the same thing I have been here for." 

"For Courtney?" He asked. I nodded. "She left. About an hour ago."

"WHAT?" I asked dropping the book and standing up. He nodded. "But- I've been sitting here for an hour! How did I not see her?" 

"I'm not sure, but I can confirm she is gone." 

I sighed. "Alright. Thank you." I said walking out. 

I guess I deserve this. If I were her, I wouldn't want to talk to me either. I went to the shop. I needed advice from Mr. Miyagi. 

"Hey." I said walking inside. He was trimming a tree. 

"Hello, Daniel-san. Are you ready to train?" 

"Yeah. I just have one question. Have you seen Courtney?" 

"I thought she was at hospital." 

"I take that as a no." I said with an eye roll. "She checked out and I didn't see her. But I need to talk to her. I'll be here by 4:00 though. I promise." I said running out. 

"See you soon, Daniel-san." 

I had one hour to find her. I guess her apartment was a good place to start. 

I tried to open the door but it was locked. That's not a good sign. I remember Jessica telling me there was a spare key in the bush. I hope it's still in there. 

I dug through and right as I was about to give up, I felt it. I'm pretty sure I cut my hand on a thorn or something but I got the key and that's all that mattered. 

Courtney's POV

I got home and I locked the door behind me. I didn't want anyone barging in here. It seems to be a common thing lately. 

I had a stupid boot on for my sprained ankle but otherwise I could walk pretty well for what's happened. I took very deep breaths because it hurt to breath normally almost. There was just a small pain in my chest. 

I went upstairs and I took the boot off. I changed my clothes and a small task has never been harder. I had to keep my torso straight while putting on my clothes and I couldn't put my foot down using my heel. It took way to long. 

But finally, after I got my pajamas on, my pillows propped up, a few pillows at the end of my bed to keep my foot elevated, ice packs, and a book just in case I got bored, I finally got to lay down in my own bed and it felt great. 

I fell asleep and I heard the door downstairs open. As I've said before, I'm a very light sleeper. I listened for a second and I didn't hear anything. Well, I'm probably not gonna be going back to bed anytime soon so I just picked up my book and started reading it. 

Then I heard someone walking up the stairs. 

Heres my plan... whoever it is, I'll let them take whatever they want, sit there and do nothing and keep reading and act unbothered. Then I can call the police. And if they're here to kill me, oh well. 

I heard them get closer and closer and my heart was racing faster and faster. But I tried to seem fine. Probably not the best plan but I'm at a loss right now. I can't exactly do much right now. 

The door opened and I looked up and tried to act natural.

My heartrate slowed down when I saw it was Daniel. I rolled my eyes and went back to my book without saying anything. 

"Oh my God, you're here! Thank God. We need to talk." He said walking up next to my bed. 

I ignored him. 

"Courtney, please." 

I ignored him again. 

"Ok fine. I deserve this. I get it. But you gotta listen to me. I was so brainwashed by Cobra Kai that-" 

"I told you. I told you they're evil people. I told you from the very beginning when I first stormed outta there and I bumped into you. Cobra Kai sucks. And you STILL went there. So fuck you." I said. 

My anger took control and I threw the book at him. It hit his stomach. "You really are your dad." He mumbled. 

"WHAT!" I yelled. I regretted that instantly because I moved my rib. 

"Don't hurt yourself. I was just saying that cause you were right about the knuckle thing. He wanted my knuckles to bleed like his did and I feel like that was because you want my stomach to hurt like yours did." 

"Don't ever say that again. Got it?" I asked angrily. 

"Ok fine." He said quietly. "But look how the tables turned. I can talk to you and you can't do anything about it. Like at the all-valley. Strange, huh." 

I rolled my eyes. I wonder if he knows I can stand up.