Chapter 9

"What an asshole." Win said under his breath as he joined Mix on the floor of his bedroom.

The Prince's eyes are all puffy and his nose is stuffed from all the crying. He just finished pouring his soul out to his closest friend, probably the only one he has now.

One would think that there's a line of people wanting to be friends with a Royal but to be honest, that's not true. People have always been very uneasy around Mix, afraid that they'll offend him or do something that would be considered impolite.

So when Mix impulsively took an acting class on his final year in college to get an excuse to stay out of the palace more often, he never imagined he'd meet an actual friend. Mix and Win were both the center of attraction, Mix being the Prince and Win being one of the most popular rookie actors at that time (not to mention the huge issue he and Bright were invovled in, but that is a story for another time).

Their shared desire for peace and quiet and a break from being a public personality brought them closer. They always partnered for assignments and acting practice. It felt good to be with someone who will not judge you or expose your deepest secrets simply because that person understands how it feels like to be constantly watched, to have his every move criticized and talked about.

If it hadn't been for Win, Mix would have gone insane in the Palace. As if being forced to clean up his name after the rumors wasn't enough, Earth just had to go and squash whatever tiny hope Mix had that his favorite guard sees him as more than a job responsibility.

"I...only asked for...two hours. They'll...know that I'm...not in the mall to shop...for clothes." Mix said in between sobs.

He managed to beg White to let him out to buy clothes for the charity concert he'll be attending with Alicia this weekend. Good thing Anya owns one of the biggest malls in Thailand and she also keeps a special backdoor for her high profile customers. Mix used the secret exit to slip away from the guards. He'll have hell to face after this, but he needed to be human for a while - to be vulnerable and to just let his feelings out of his chest before they became too much for him.

"Cry it all out, Mix. Take your time before going back to the Palace and facing Earth again. My place is going to be hard to find, even for the Royal guards." With all the bad experience Win had with overly obssessed fans, he made sure he can live somewhere that offers maximum privacy and security. He needs to have a place where he could breathe and just be himself, away from the prying eyes of the world. Right now, this sanctuary is exactly what Mix needs.

"Why did...he have to...do that?"

Mix isn't really expecting Win to answer. The only one who knows why Earth kissed the Prince and told him it was a mistake that should have never happened and will never happen again just days after doing so is the goddamned Royal guard.

"Maybe he was just forced to say that so you'd go along with the King's plans to get married." Win said, trying to be optimistic. Maybe Earth wasn't much of a douchebag, though it won't justify hurting the Prince like this. Why do something if he can't man up and own it?

"Is it bad? Is it...bad to feel betrayed? Was it...my fault...for raising my hopes up...with just a tiny kiss?"

From what Win heard (Off Jumpol is a trustworthy man, but Win can be quite persuasive when he wants something) it was technically not a "tiny kiss" but more like the beginning of a full-on make-out session, but he chose to keep it to himself. He is really at a loss for words and the only thing he could do was drape a thick blanket over Mix who is still shaking from the outburst of his emotions.

Being locked up alone in the Palace for over a week while trying to keep a strong facade definitely took its toll on the Prince.

"Why...do I feel...empty? Why do I hear...Earth's words...and feel like...it's so wrong...to be attracted to me? To love me? Is it because I'm a Prince? Wanting to be with me...is it always going to be a...mistake?"

Ah hell. This is what Win hates about first heartbreaks. Growing up, everyone has a childish fantasy of a perfect love story - of rainbows and butterflies, of sweet kisses and warm hugs. But at some point in your life you'll be faced with the reality that a romantic relationship is much more complex than an exchange of "I love you's". The day will come when you would have no choice but to accept that loving someone does not give you the right to demand the same kind of love from that person.

The wake-up call that love isn't the same as Disney movies sometimes come with this - self doubt. You begin to question your worth, your value in the eyes of other people.

Win and Mix were surprised to hear the door open. Bright didn't even knock and went straight to where his fiance and the Prince were sitting. Bright wordlessly offered the two of them a glass of water each.

Win was thankful for this simple gesture since Mix has been crying non-stop for nearly an hour now.

Surprisingly, Bright didn't stop there.
"Let's focus on stopping the wedding for now, shall we? Then you'll have all the time in the world to deal with Earth or find someone else." Bright said as softly patted Mix's shoulder, trying to comfort him in his own way.

Mix gave Bright a small smile before drinking.

"You can stay here, Mix. Anya took care of the Royal guards." Bright continued.

"Really? What did she do?" Win asked his fiance, impressed at how Anya managed to keep the Prince out of the Palace for an entire night.

"Not sure about the details but I think Earth helped."

"Why...would he...do that?" Mix asked Bright.

Bright just shrugged. "Anya seemed to be in a hurry so she didn't tell me much."

"Why is he so confusing? One minute he's flirting, the next minute he says it's a mistake. Now he's helping Mix escape the guards just a day after he told him to 'stop being childish and start acting like a Prince'. What's his deal really?" Win said, clearly irritated with the mixed signals from Earth. What's so fun with messing somebody's head and feelings?

Bright just ruffled Win's hair. He looked cute with his forehead crunched in irritation. "No use stressing over things we have no answers for. Let tomorrow take care of itself. I think what we all need now is just a little break from life, some good night sleep."

Then Bright turned to Mix. "You okay if we give you some space now, Mix? I'd really suggest you use the bed though. The floor is too cold."

Mix really appreciated how a private person like Bright accepted him since he is Win's friend. "I'll be fine. Thank you, really. For everything."

Bright stood up and offered his hand to Win. "C'mon babe. Time for bed."

Win suddenly remembered that his guest room is too messy to sleep in. If they offered Mix his room, the only place they could sleep on is the living room.

"You okay with the sofa? Guest room's full of gifts from fans." Win said as his fiance helps him up.

Bright just gave Win a suggestive smile. "It's not like I'm not used to being in the sofa with you."

Win's eyes widened at Bright's remark. Damn him for openly flirtly infront of the broken hearted Prince.

Giving Mix one last squeeze in the arm, the couple left Mix in the big bedroom.

Alone, once again.