Chapter 8

"There's really no concrete plans as of now. Papii and I are just glad that the Prince is considering us as designers for his wedding." Gun said in response to the interviewer's question.  

"We met the Prince through a common friend, and he wanted to see our work up-close so we were more than happy to invite him to watch the show in person." Off continued.

Earth watched the fashion duo's first live interview since the fashion show through his laptop.

"You sure this is going to help the Prince, Cap?" Nammon, Earth's closest friend and right hand man, asked him.

"I hope so. Somehow I got the Prince to agree that he needs to look like he's committed to this wedding and if it means asking his famous friends to help him give the public that impression, so be it."

"Seriously, what was even Aran thinking? He didn't say it directly, but how can he imply that the Prince is trying to plot treason against the King? For being surrounded by ladies? It's not the Prince's fault that women are attracted to him."

"Shhh." Earth tried to hush Nammon. All of these are rumors going around the palace based on what happened during the last Council meeting. "Don't ever say that again. It's going to reflect badly on the Prince if his men are speaking ill of a Royal. Aran just said that deliberately trying to sabotage his marriage, one which the King ordered, can be considered an act of treason. He isn't entirely wrong, though."

"Really, Cap? I thought we're on the Prince's side? It wasn't like he kissed or slept with any of them, right? Anywhere I look I can only see harmless encounters. Some were a bit touchy, but nothing outside the safe zone. Does that justify locking up the Prince or being accused of treason?"

Right. It wasn't like the Prince kissed any of the women. He did kiss Earth, though. Fuck alcohol courage or whatnot. Earth was just stupid and was momentarily blinded by the undeniable physical attraction between him and Mix. He can only hope that the little secret between him and the Prince stays between them and well, Off Jumpol who stopped them before things went out of hand.

"Maybe not, but that doesn't change the fact that unless the Prince can erase any doubts that he would not do anything to postpone or cancel his wedding, he isn't going anywhere until his wedding."

"So what happens next, he and Lady Alicia going on a public date?"

"They will be attending a charity concert by BDC. The people should see them as a happy couple enthusiastically planning their wedding."

"Right. The Prince has to put up a show again, just as he's been doing his whole life. I really think something's fishy with Lady Alicia and Aran, Cap. Do you really think it's a coincidence that the wedding was announced two weeks after Aran introduced the King to a 'friend he met on a conference in Italy?' "

"Watch it, man. I told you the Palace has ears and eyes in places you least imagined. Stop talking about nonsense unless we got proof they're planning anything to harm the monarchy."

"If I'm right, Lady Alicia is Aran's key to holding more power in here. You know how that guy has always been so jealous of the Crown Prince and Prince Mix. What if he's using her? Once she's married to Prince Mix, she will have more authority than what Aran has now. She would be entitled to a seat in the Council and she can bear a child that would be closer to inheriting the throne than Aran would ever be." Nammon said while pacing back and forth, like some investigator in a detective movie trying to solve a case.

"You really should stop listening to the gossips of court ladies. Their wild imagination combined with the hundreds of dramas you have watched is making you jump to unrealistic conclusions." Earth might have tried to reign in Nammon's speculations, but he can't deny that it's a possibility. He noticed how Aran seemed to be so invested with the relationship between the Prince and Alicia. But without definite evidence, it's not like they can cuff them and throw them to jail.

"Look, Cap. This is why we're sent here in the first place, right? The Alliance was alarmed when Aran started moving funds from different local banks before it disappears to countries known for money laundering. Aran is surely into something."

The Alliance, an independent organization of elite soldiers, has one goal: to keep the Thai monarchy safe from people wanting to overthrow it. The group was designed to be outside the usual police hierarchy to ensure that they are impartial - any threat to the King or his immediate heir, the Crown Prince, is to be eliminated. Even if the threat turns out to be a high-ranking government official or another member of the royal family.

Earth let out a heavy sigh. "You're right. But for the past year we've been facing roadblocks in every turn. Up until now we can't say that Aran is guilty of doing anything illegal."

"Maybe finding the link between him and Alicia would help?"

Earth pondered at the thought of linking Mix's marriage to his mission. Is it selfish that a part of him wishes that Alicia has something to do with whatever Aran has been scheming and that is enough of a reason to cancel the wedding? Is it unprofessional to hope that the completion of his mission meant that the Prince gets to keep his freedom?

"Fine, man. Tell the guys from the Alliance thay we're suspecting something is off between Alicia and Aran's relationship so they can help us take a look. We're leaving no stones unturned and a year is already too long. We need to complete this mission before the wedding."

"Got it, Cap" Nammon said as he saluted and turned to leave Earth's room.

"Oh, White? Were you here for long? Sorry we didn't hear you knock." Earth was startled to hear Nammon speaking to White as soon as the former opened the door.

"Ah, uh, no. I actually just got here." White peeked through the door. "The Prince wants to see you, Captain."

Just before they reach the door to the Prince's room, White spoke to Earth.

"Captain, let me just set this straight. I'm letting you speak with the Prince because he says he badly needs to speak with you in private and promises to not go against the King's orders ever again after this."

"Understood, Sir." Earth doesn't know what else to say.

"No, Earth, I don't think you do. I'm thankful that you come up with an idea to help us fix this mess, but we know that you let the Prince do foolish things under your watch. You only get to stay here because we want to keep things under the wraps. Dismissing the Prince's staff is an admission that the Prince did something wrong and you people are experiencing the burn of it. So you get to stay, but this does not happen again, ever. You hear me?"

Something in Earth clicked by the way White spoke about the Prince as if he's some character in a narrative written by the Palace and whatever happens to him and the people around him should just follow a script.

"With all due respect, I think the Prince didn't do anything wrong. A Royal is the center of attraction wherever he goes. It's normal that people flock around him."

"Really, Earth? Is that what you think? Or you're just thankful that the Prince is willing to risk his name and image just to cancel the wedding? I see how you look at the Prince, Earth, and I'm not the only one who does.  Whatever fantasy you're living in your head is not gonna happen. The Prince is meant to be in the Palace. You know damn well that this isn't where he's going to be in if he chooses you. So you're gonna go inside that room and tell the Prince to do what is right - to obey the King's orders."

White didn't even wait for Earth to reply. He turned his back and left Earth standing in front of the Prince's room.

For a while the other night, when his lips were savoring the taste of Mix, Earth did thought about the possibility of being with the Prince. But between the conversation with Nammon and White's threats, Earth realized that the circumstances were not favorable to them.

Maybe admiring the Sun from afar is the only way for him to keep on enjoying its warmth.

After all, the Sun only belongs to the sky.