16. MEETING THE EYE

Start from the beginning

When he came to his senses, he had heard her talking alone. As he couldn't see anyone else near her, he had asked her who she was talking to. She had ignored his question. Apparently after that, Aiden had been often checking upon her to understand what was going on, which led us to think that he had a huge crush on Verena. When he was paired up with her to finish the English essays, he gladly took it, just to spend time with her to find out what she had been hiding. Either Verena stayed at home being sick or she always was alone at school. Aiden had to complete four essays with her, meaning he had 4 weekends with her and she was also his lab partner in chem. Basically, he was with her for 4 weekends and about four hours of school every week.

"We know these mundane details, Aiden. Skip to the part where she told you that she is a PSB." I lost my patience.

"I am getting there, Margo. Patience..."

A few strange occurrences had happened while he was with her. What shocked Aiden the most was when he almost fell from the stairs of her home and somehow Verena paused his fall. That's not something a human could do, right? Again, she had lied that he probably had a concussion from the almost fall.

"I think Walker just told you to skip to the part where she admitted that she is a PSB," Elec growled.

"Almost there."

Next time, when he went to her home, he had seen her talking alone and giggling. He took a video of it so that she couldn't deny him, and when he confronted her, something appeared out of her closet and snatched his phone. It was a ghost that she had befriended and had been following her for years. Apparently, that was the ghost that desperately tried to set him up with her, because Verena had no real friends.

"So, then she admitted that she is a PSB?"

"Just shut up and listen." I really must have stepped on his last nerve.

Verena discovered that she was a PSB when she was around ten. She had lived with her adoptive parents all her life. Apparently, her adoptive parents are oblivious to the fact that she is a PSB. Aiden also added that she didn't know how to control or use her powers. To be exact, she didn't have enough training to fully develop her skills. She was a novice. She didn't even have anyone to teach her to use her powers. According to Aiden, she got sick often because she didn't know how to control her powers.

"No... way..." My voice came out as an unintentional whisper.

"Yeah, that's what I thought too."

"Why are you telling us about her now?" Irsia finally opened her mouth. She probably tried to start a fight with Aiden but he was not familiar to Irsia's betrayed reaction.

"Because she called me last night. She knew about our encounter in the Auroville Villa and she also has a hunch of the possibilities of danger that Margo could be in."

"What do you mean?" Elec asked, with her tone fuming at his claim that I could be in danger.

"Verena said that Margo is a target of the ghost. Since the ghost touched her, the ghost was probably trying to possess Margo."

My stomach churned. I wanted to puke. Maybe even faint and feel nothing. I wanted to go blank for some time or just silence the rising anxiety and the questions in my mind by playing loud music. Suddenly, my weekend vibe wasn't there anymore. It left the room as soon as Aiden finished that sentence.

"Loved the tale, Aiden. But stop building it more." Elec gave an unamused dry laugh as she walked to the kitchen. I guessed she was going to hydrate herself.

I still was silent. I couldn't say anything. I looked at Irsia. Her incensed reaction was growing so much so that she could lash out at any minute.

"Why are you so silent?" Aiden had bad timing to question Irsia that way. Elec was returning from the kitchen with a glass of water. I knew that was for Irsia.

"Here, drink it." She offered to Irsia.

Irsia drank the water in rapid swigs and then looked straight at Aiden with a furious look. Aiden looked puzzled. I knew what was going to happen. I just didn't know who to defend. I just didn't want them to fight like this.

"I am silent because you didn't tell me a word about this." She paused and took another sip of water. "Maybe she threatened you not to tell anyone but I or anyone here wouldn't have said a word of this to anyone."

"Irsia, you don't get it. She didn't threaten me. I promised her that I wouldn't tell anybody." He looked so pathetic, like a soaked puppy.

Elec was so enjoying this. "The thing is Aiden, I don't believe in ghouls, ghosts and PSBs. But given the fact that we came face to face with a ghost, I'd like to say that I kind of buy the story. What fascinates me is the fact that you didn't tell us that Margo is in danger from morning." She crossed her arms in an accusatory manner. "How did you manage to keep it to yourself from the minute Verena called you or you called Verena or however it happened?"

"Elec, you are not the only one who doesn't believe in this. Even I didn't believe it when she said that Margo is in danger. It all sounded so stupid and trust me, Elec." He stood up with a gesture that he was about to leave, "I won't put Margo in danger." He huffed. "Never," he declared in a dangerously low voice, which I had never heard from him before. His response was to Elec, but his eyes met mine halfway and I looked away almost instantly. "I want her to be in the saddle if at all she faces something like that again."

"Are you implying that Irsia and I might put her in danger?"

"Can we please not fight?" I intervened in a yell.

I heard the rain begin. The weightless drops kept hitting the ground. A chill blow of wind softly came in through the door, and it touched me, leaving a series of goosebumps and a slight shiver. It wasn't delightful as it was earlier.

"Let's go, Irsia." Aiden gestured to Irsia to get up and leave with him.

"Elec will drop me," she said softly, but it was rude.

"Stop this, Irsia. And Elec, stop enjoying this so much." I yelped like a puppy now.

"You know what... you don't have to defend me, Margo." Aiden glowered and lashed out the door. I heard his car whirring.

"You two can have a nice time." I uttered, and I took a step forward to leave. Maybe I wanted to lash out just like Aiden.

"Margo..." Irsia drawled. "Walker! Come on..." Elec called out.

❤❤