chapter twenty two

Start from the beginning

"No, I'm staying." JJ states. "No debate."

"You guys go!" He calls down. "Pick us up on your way back to the chateau!"

I hear John respond, but the door is already closed behind JJ, so his voice is muffled.

"You didn't have to stay." I say, walking back up to my room.

"I know, but I wanted to." He says, following me. "Plus I don't really want to spend a night hearing Kie complain about Sarah."

"Sarah isn't that bad, really. She was the only one who was actually nice to me at the Cameron's." I admit.

"Fuck all of them." JJ says, causing me to turn and give him a stern look. "I mean Sarah's better I guess, if she was nice to you."

"And Rose?" I question.

"Vienna." He warns, turning his head to the side. "I already said I was-"

"I know, JJ. I was kidding." I say, letting a laugh out at his reaction.

Once we make it back to my room, I tell him I need to change before heading to the bathroom. I throw on a hoodie and pair of shorts, discarding the robe before making my way back to my room.

I find JJ already sprawled on my bed, shirt on the floor, and under the covers. I climb in next to him, instantly finding peace in his arms. It does not take me long to drift off. Right before I do, I hear him whisper "I care, Enna. So much. Sleep well." And place a kiss on my forehead, before drifting off himself.

______

The next morning I woke up to a snoring JJ, still wrapped in his arms. I took this time to look at him. He looked so peaceful asleep.

When he was awake, he often put on a cold front. However, when he was sleeping, he looked relaxed and at ease. A small smile rested on his lips, and his arm was still around my torso, holding me close.

The bruise on his eye brought me back to reality. I realize JJ is a hurt person, who is doing his best to not hurt the people around him. All he's known growing up is hurt and pain. Family to him is merely blood.

I feel almost guilty now for not hearing him out sooner. Kie is right, it's obvious he cares for me, but it's almost like he doesn't understand how to express it.

I feel him move in his sleep, breaking me from my thoughts. I close my eyes, not wanting him to know I was staring at him sleeping.

I felt him place another kiss to my forehead, whispering a goodmorning.

"Morning, J." I respond, opening and rubbing my eyes.

"How'd you sleep?" JJ asks, turning on his side to look at me.

"Perfect." I smile.

"I told JB to pick us back up last night, they must've forgot."

"Probably ditched us for Sarah."

"You gonna talk to him?" JJ asks.

"I don't know. Do you think I'm being dramatic about this?"

"Nah, I don't think so." JJ shakes his head, rubbing my arm in comfort. "JB's pretty much your brother. This treasure hunt means more to you two than any of us. I think it was kind of shitty of him to leave for a few days with no explanation. And on top of that, be with a girl he barely knows. I think you have every right to be upset, but I think you should talk to him."

I let a smile find its way to my face, taking in JJ's words. It's obvious to me now how much he cares.

"Thank you JJ, that means a lot. I will talk to him." I say, smiling still.

"Anything for you, Enna." JJ says, kissing my forehead. "We should probably head back to the chateau though. John B's already going to kill me for spending the night here." He says, causing us both to laugh.

We get up and get dressed. JJ showers as I make us a make-shift breakfast. I'm never really here anymore, I'm always at John's, so I don't have many groceries. I settle for some toast.

We decide to walk to the chateau, enjoying our moments together.

____

Hi!
Just wanted to let everyone know I'm going on vacation for a week, so I won't update again until sometime next week. Thank you to everyone's who's keeping up with this story!!