chapter fifteen

While we waited for Pope and JJ to get back from delivering groceries to figure eight, John and Kie decided to go surfing to kill some time. I never learned how to surf. I was only seven when we stopped coming here.

It was nearing dusk when they left, so they said they wouldn't be long. In the time they were, I moved more of my stuff over to the chateau. John had asked me earlier to spend more time there and told me to bring what I needed. I packed a few more bathing suits and clothes, along with my guitar and journal and figured that'd be enough for now.

Now I sat on the hammocks, waiting for the four of them to return home. I strummed my guitar and quietly sang along, enjoying the serenity of the moment.

I felt a set of arms wrap around my figure from behind, and a face settle into the crook of my neck.

I knew it was JJ before I saw him. The scent of old spice, mint, and a hint of weed gave it away. JJ's scent was intoxicating, I always found myself easily getting lost in it.

"You look good in that." He mumbled, pointing to the sweatshirt I had on, which was his. I found it inside the chateau and pulled it on, due to the wind and lack of sunlight it was cold outside.

I felt my face blush and instantly thanked God it was dark enough that he couldn't tell.

"Where's everyone else?" I said, sitting my guitar under the hammock as JJ climbed in with me, wrapping me in his arms as we laid in the hammock.

"The Wreck. They're all eating but I wanted to come see you. We have barely talked all day." I smiled at his words.

"I know." As much as I wanted to ignore the feelings I had for him I couldn't deny them. I knew they were there. But I also knew I couldn't act on them.

"What'd you do today?" I asked him, turning on my side so now I looked right at his face. He moved so one of his hands was resting under his chin, propping his face up, while the other tucked a strand of hair behind my ear. He let that hand drop, settling it on my waist.

"Pope and I had to deliver some groceries for Heyward. Pope got jumped, though, so I don't think we will be going again anytime soon. Then we, uh, we went surfing with Kie and John B."

"Wait, Pope got jumped?" I said, ignoring everything else he said and focusing on that. I could tell he was avoiding telling me something but I didn't care to know, I just wanted to know  if Pope was okay. "Is he okay?"

"Yeah, but baby, he's fine don't worry. We took care of it." I feel my stomach drop at his words, I can smell alcohol on him so I know he's been drinking. He always calls me something like that when he's intoxicated. I try to ignore how happy it makes me and remind myself it's only because he's not thinking straight.

"What do you mean you took care of it?"

"Don't worry about it, En. It's all good now. Popes fine." He dismissed, running his hands through my hair.

"How did only Pope get jumped? Where were you?"

"I was uh- I was somewhere else. I don't know, V. Stop asking about it. He's fine."

"Fine." I mumbled, confused at his change in emotion. I know he's definitely not telling me something now.

JJ and I sat in silence for a while. It wasn't an awkward silence, it was comfortable.

After a while, JJ and I moved inside, due to the bugs were biting and the air growing colder.

When I walked in, I noticed there were candles lit through the house.