PROLOGUE

"AND HERE IT IS, OUR FINAL NIGHT ALIVE

AND AS THE EARTH RUNS TO THE GROUND

OH GIRL, IT'S YOU THAT I LIE WITH

AS THE ATOM BOMB LOCKS IN

OH, IT'S YOU I WATCH TV WITH

AS THE WORLD, AS THE WORLD CAVES IN"

- As The World Caves In, Matt Maltese

THICK PLUMES OF smoke billowed around the brunette

THICK PLUMES OF smoke billowed around the brunette. Her baby blue eyes watered as the smoke surrounded her, and the sound of ringing irritated her sensitive ears. She coughed as the smoke wormed its way through the thin shirt she had over the lower part of her face to block the fumes. The back of her throat started to burn, and the girl worked on making her way out of the demolished building she was trapped in.

Crawling through the rubble of the ruined building, Ren winced as her knees scraped against the debris. The light of the stars and the moon did little to help her on her way out, so she focused on the sound of fighting. She could hear loud noises in front of her, and she listened intently as someone called out her name. Ren wanted to reply, but she knew that if she did, it would make her even weaker than she already was.

A couple more pushes, Ren told herself. Just a short distance to go before she reached the exit of the ruined building that collapsed around her. She focused on the pain in her knees instead of the smoke in her lungs. Her elbows dug into the ground as she pulled herself forward. Another loud bang came from in front of her, and Ren shielded her eyes as a bright light shined in her face.

"She's over here!"

Peeking through her fingers, Ren watched as two people surrounded her only exit. Her vision was blurry from the smoke and dust in her eyes and the added bright light didn't help. Another person joined the two, and it wasn't long before one of them started to work their way through the small entrance they created in front of Ren. As the person slowly got closer, Ren worked on making her way towards them, trying to help them out in some way. If she could get closer to the exit, they wouldn't have to come so far into the ruins that seemed to be on the verge of collapsing on top of them.

"Come on, Ren," the person in front of her called out with their arm stretching to reach for her. "You're almost there!"

With one last push, body aching and throat swollen from the inhaled smoke, Ren reached out with her hand. Her fingertips brushed the person's own and she heard them let out a hiss of annoyance. Scared that if she let her arm fall to the ground, she wouldn't be able to pick it back up, Ren kept her arm extended out in front of her, pushing through the pain. This time, a cool hand was placed in hers, and the brunette felt her hand unconsciously interlock in her savior's.