September 1, 1971 (part one)

The clouds were a deep, angry grey the day that Remus Lupin ran through the wall between Platform 9 and 10 at Kings Cross Station.

Even with the day's impending excitement, Remus couldn't help but groan at the ache radiating through his body at even the slightest chance of a storm. The day was supposed to be bright and happy, indicating new beginnings, but the London skies had a different plan in store.

Remus huffed at the realization that every other kid he saw- no matter if they were incoming first years, or seventh years returning for one last time- had their families with them. His parents hadn't cared enough to even accompany him to the Platform entrance. They'd rather throw some Floo powder in the fireplace and send him on his way.

"Oi! James!" A man with messy black hair and crows feet etched deep around his eyes called, racing through the crowded platform. At hearing his name, a younger boy, probably about Remus' age with equally as messy hair and round glasses, turned and smiled.

"Thanks dad! Can't believe I left it at home!"

Remus furrowed his brows as he tried to figure out what the two of them were talking about, as he didn't see anything clutched in the elder man's hands.

"Would you two put that away? The Ministry would have a fit if they knew you had it!" A smaller woman came up behind them, attempting to smooth her son's hair down with no success. "I still don't know why you think you'll need it."

Her tone was pointed, but not mal-intentioned. It was evident she was just a worried mother who was sending her son off to boarding school. Remus wished, without even knowing the family, that his parents were like that boy's.

From the other side of the station, there was a family chastising their son. Remus pushed his cart a little bit closer, curiosity getting the best of him.

"You will only associate with the other pure-blood families, except for the Weasley's and the Potter's. You are to avoid them at all times, those filthy blood traitors. And absolutely no associating with the halfbloods and mudbloods," the woman was gripping her son's arm tightly, getting too close in his face.

It was an act that would have scared most other children, but the boy in her grips looked unconcerned, almost bored. If Remus had any money, he would have bet it all that the raven-haired boy was used to this kind of lecture.

"Sirius Orion Black, are you listening to me?" She shrieked, grasping his arm even tighter. This warranted an uncomfortable shift in the boy's body language, but there was still a bored, careless expression on his face.

"Yes mother. I will make sure to not interact with anyone who would disgrace the family name."

His tone was dripping with sarcasm, and he wrenched his arm away from her. The woman's hand flew to her pocket where the handle of her wand was sticking out, and Remus held his breath. She wouldn't dare do anything in the middle of a crowded train station.

The boy- Sirius- stared her down, as if daring her to do just that. Finally, the boy's mother turned with a shrill humph, and walked away. With a small chuckle to himself, Sirius turned around, making direct eye contact with Remus.

"Wotcher," he grinned, giving Remus a cocky grin. "Suppose you probably heard all of that rubbish, yeah?"

Remus couldn't form any words, and instead settled for a rather dumb-looking nod. Suddenly, the other boy was right in front of him, hand extended in a friendly greeting.

"Name's Sirius. Sirius Black. Suppose you already heard my mother announce it to the entire station, though," he chuckled lightheartedly, as if he had not just come close to being cursed in the middle of King's Cross Station.