Peeta's Return to Consciousness

Early this morning, as usual, you rush into Peeta's hospital room. You see his deranged face and remember that he was the boy you'd bake with, draw chalk animals with Delly Cartwright with, talk with. He was your best friend, and you hate seeing him like this. You have waited to receive him, but you had no idea what they were doing to your best friend. Your fellow baker, fellow student, fellow classmate, fellow artist. He taught you everything he knows, and you taught him about healing. Well, a little bit. You chuckle, remembering when you and Peeta would play hospital together. Each time Peeta got it right, we'd bake. 

"Uuuuughhhhhhh," a moan from behind. Peeta!

"Peeta?" you wonder aloud, slowing creeping towards the motionless body.

"A-Avery?" Peeta mumbles, barely audible. "Is- is-"

"It's me," you reply, thinking you know what he was going to say.

"Oh. Well, is- Katniss- cont-tained?" he utters. Since when does he have the words "Katniss", his fiance, and "contained" in the same sentence?

"I guess so," you shrug. "She's still recovering from the stuff."

"The shock. The fake miscarriage," Peeta says.

"Yes, you're right."

"I know I am," Peeta mutters under his breath. "I invented that."

"I need to alert the president now. I'll be right back," you say.

"Please come back," Peeta pleads. You didn't know he appreciated you like that. Didn't he only have REAL eyes for Katniss? This year couldn't get weirder. . .