​𝓽𝔀𝓸 | ...𝓪𝓷𝓭 𝓷𝓸𝔀

Start from the beginning

She kneeled down, looking at another row of books.

"With that being said, I wouldn't expect you to be crushing on a guy who has a girlfriend. The look you gave Eren and Mikasa earlier when he pecked her cheek? I can't decide if you looked like a pervert or a hopeless romantic. Gosh, it's straight out of some teenager's fanfiction."

When she realized Armin would never reply, Annie stood up with a huff and turned toward him.

"Armin, what day is it today?"

"...Tuesday?"

"What day is Eren and Mikasa's flight?"

"Saturday?"

"Get your shit together by then."

She placed a gentle hand on Armin's shoulder. "He used to like you, actually."

Armin's eyes widened. "Really?"

"Yeah, back in our, what, first year of high school? He got over you through...dating Mikasa, actually. And here we are, straight out of high school, and they're going to this super renowned architecture academy in freaking Germany. Just...try being happier for them, m'kay?"

She walked away from Armin, leaving him surrounded by the walls of books.

He turned to the shelf and knelt down to sort through the first row, thinking that maybe he should go back to grab his blueberry muffin.

But then he remembered he couldn't stand the sight of Mikasa and Eren.

Together.

And here he was, twenty minutes later, strolling back to the table to get his blueberry muffin and praying, hoping Annie hadn't helped herself.

He weaved his way through shelves, lines, and friends gathered in groups, laughing amongst themselves, until Mikasa and Eren at the table came into view.

His arm began to rise in preparation to wave hello, but slowly dropped when he saw their contorted faces.

As he approached the table, he could hear their harsh, hushed voices. Eren held his head in one hand, leaning on the table for support. Mikasa was gripping Eren's left shoulder tightly with her right arm, using her left hand to try to make Eren face her.

The chatter and buzz of the cafe seemed to fade out around Armin as he got even closer, being able to pick up bits of what they were saying.

"I'm really starting to get tired of your lying, Eren."

"Mikasa, I'm not lying to you, why can't you get that into your head?"

"Eren, how can you even believe yourself?"

Their voices were steadily becoming louder now.

When Armin noticed that a few people in the nearby line for beverages began to glance over at the couple, Armin picked up his pace, rushing to the table.

Armin firmly put his hands down on the table, smiling widely at a now silent Mikasa and Eren, both of them staring at Armin with mouths slightly agape.

"Mikasa! Eren!," Armin said through gritted teeth, still grinning. "It's the middle of summer, it's kinda stuffy in here, huh? Maybe we should step outside for a second?"

Mikasa grimaced promptly, with the chair dragging along the hardwood floor as she stood quickly.

Without looking at Armin nor Eren, she said, "I have to go, actually. Annie's waiting in the car. Her mom called her. She needs to get home."

Eren sat in silence, simply watching Mikasa as she brushed past Armin.

"Please tell me the truth when you're ready to face it, Eren," she said as she walked, just above a whisper, as if she didn't really want anyone to hear, wishing to let her words get swept up by the babble of the cafe.

When Mikasa reached the door, she glanced over her shoulder and gave Eren a tender smile before turning around and exiting.

Armin slowly turned around to face Eren.

Eren's eyebrows were furrowed, deep creases sprouting from his forehead. He clenched his fists tightly, making them shake slightly.

"Hey," Armin whispered, placing a gentle hand on his shoulder, instantly making Eren relax. "We can leave, yeah? And...talk?"

Eren simply nodded, looking down at his feet as he slowly stood up from the chair.

"You know," he muttered, eyes still on the floor.

Armin raised his eyebrows slightly, giving a short hum in response.

Eren finally looked up at him, a small grin on his face.

"Annie took your muffin before she headed out. I'll buy you another one before we go."

Armin tried to contain his delight, but Eren's laugh told him he didn't succeed.

"Let's go, Armin."

As Eren turned away, a shiver ran up Armin's back at the familiarity of the words.