One of the staff unexpectedly pulled down all the screens at the counter and pressed the emergency button. The alarm went off immediately. Not expecting this, the gang leaped back in astonishment before raising their guns in fury. They started shooting the screens incessantly, bullets bouncing in every direction. As the police sirens inched closer, the gang got desperate and so did the crowd. Gambling with their luck, people rose from the ground, crawl, screech and scramble to the door. Some tripped and got trampled; some made a dash towards the gate and got shot; some cowered in one corner and got shoved against the wall. When the officers arrived, a direct confrontation ensued. Fleeing along with the crowd, Shayne and Erik bumped into one of the robbers. He held up his gun and glared at both of them. Before he pulled the trigger, Erik yanked Shayne backwards and slid to his front. He flipped around shielding them with his back as the bullets pierced him full of holes.

Shayne stared wide-eyed at his boyfriend, who kept a firm grasp on him as he trembled with blood cascading down his back and dribbling down the corner of his lips. He slipped forwards and collapsed on Shayne.

'Erik?' gasped Shayne. Even though he had got used to the sight of Erik dying to protect him, he still couldn't control the tears bursting out of his eyes every time Erik coughed up blood and stared at him with bitterness. 'Why... Why would you do that?'

He was never quick enough to stop him. Erik was so agile and skilful as if he had played this game a million times. He knew exactly when and where something would strike them; and how to interfere and strike back.

It was as if he was living ahead of time. Ahead of him every single time.

'Why...' Erik struggled to spit out, grabbing Shayne's shirt so tight it got creased. 'Why did you keep doing that, Shayne?'

'What?'

'We have to stop this,' sighed Erik, shaking his head. 'From the moment I saw you on the rooftop, all I wanted was to save you. I would do anything to save you. Please, don't let my efforts go down the drain...'

Erik shut his eyes and coughed, blood splashing onto Shayne's chest.

'Do me a favour,' mumbled Erik as he slumped weakly against Shayne. 'I have to die. I have to. I was...'

Trying so hard to save you.

When Shayne looked down at Erik again, his right hand was clutching something. From his palm rolled out a silvery pocket watch, with the very same design and adornments as his.

The hand struck XII. It had long stopped ticking.

He thought back of all the times Erik was trying to save him. How eerie. Why was there always a faint, restful smile plastered on Erik's face whenever he left in his arms?

Noting was coincidental. Everything was destinated. Planned.

Erik's trick. His trick. They were both tricking Death.

Shayne quickly rolled up Erik's shirt. Numerous bruises, large and small, minor and severe, flat and swollen, red and purple and yellowish, sprawled all over his scrawny, pale body which he had never allowed Shayne to see when they were making love. And all this time, Shayne kept thinking that Erik was just shy to undress himself.

He was the one who kept dying, not Erik. When he closed his eyes, he saw the truck speeding and crashing towards him; the plank bouncing off the wall and falling straight to his head; Peter growling and lunging towards him; the train rolling over his body and crushing his limbs to pieces; the mini-bomb exploding right beside his seat tearing him into half; the sea of flames engulfing him; the hornets stinging all over his body; and the bullets aiming at his chest leaving gaps all over his torso. In every single scene, he saw Erik gaping at him, eyes brimming with tears and dashing towards him, crying and shaking his numb body deliriously until his face and hands were drenched in his blood. He saw Erik reach out to his own pocket and dig out the watch, press the crown and scream out his name in desperation. He saw his body back to one piece; they started the day anew and Erik heaved a sigh of relief. And then...his body got torn again, smashed by wheels, battered by metals, punctured by knives and shot by guns. Erik took out his watch and pressed the crown. Again and again.

And then, Erik shoved him out of the way and let the truck strike himself. He smiled, so proud of his deed and wisdom. Yes, he had figured out a way to trade with Death.

An eye for an eye. A life for a life.

As long as Shayne lived, he won the game.

The sudden realisation elicited a crestfallen groan from Shayne so loud that it reverberated in the whole bank. He screamed at the top of his lungs, rivers of tears running down his sore cheeks. He slapped himself so hard his skin began to bleed.

What an idiot.

He was such an idiot.