Chapter Four: Gunfire

The whole next week of school went by pretty fast. I really got to know Kaitlyn, Briley, and Sarah. Most importantly though I started to get to know Dick, he was mysterious yet open. He was letting me in, but I could tell there was more to him than what he was telling even me.

“Hey Morgan,” said Dick as he walked towards me and took my books out of my hands.

“You know you don’t really have to do that,” I tell him as I reached out to grab them. He quickly snatched his arms out of my reach and stuck his tongue out. I stuck my tongue back out at him and giggled. He reached for my hand as if he wanted to grab it, then he hesitated and took a step back and smiled.

“You’re going to have to be faster than that Mo,” he laughed as he strode towards class.

Oh that boy was starting to make me actually fall for him. Which I knew couldn’t happen. There were too many factors and it was too complicated for me to be involved with anyone. This was one of the many downsides of moving so often, but I guess that’s what happens when you’re on the run. That man wouldn’t give up, it was starting to make me more and more paranoid. I need to learn how to stick up for myself and fight. But where can I learn that from? My thoughts were interrupted as I walked in my class and saw Dick waving at me. It was after lunch, where he always seemed to disappear, and it was our last class for the day.

“What were you thinking so hard about Mo?” he asked, slightly amused.

“Well if you must know Richard it was something personal,” I told him with a wink.

He faked hurt and put his hand over his heart, “I’m wounded.”

I rolled my eyes and laughed, what a comedian he turned out to be. Once you got close with Dick his funny side really came out, it’s a shame not many people got to know him.

I was about to ask Dick to explain my math work to me, since he was a level ahead of me. He really knew his stuff when it came to anything academic. Before I could ask I felt a tug on the back of my hair.

“How are you still sitting with this guy, if you want to be with a real man here’s my number feel free to call anytime. Or you could send me a picture,” a boy with blonde hair and a beard he seemed to be growing out, said, full of confidence.

I scoffed, “if that is what you call a pick up line then a twelve year old would have an easier time picking me up.”

He gave me a look of disgust and turned his attention to Dick, who looked tense the whole time, I could see his fist balled up. The kid gave him a death glare.

“Watch your back darling,” he said to me.

I could feel a shiver run down my back, that was frightening. I turned my attention back to Dick.

“Umm ok well I uh,” I stuttered out trying to get back on topic.

Dick covered my hand with his, “are you ok? Do you want to talk about it?”