I sigh, "But, dad-"

"No buts Rue. You're going, and so is your brother. You children need to get out of the house." He stares at me dead in my eyes and raises an eyebrow. "Is that clear."

I hesitantly nod my head yes.

Tonight, I was supposed to have a study session with me, myself, and I. The three of us would have been listening to our music, pretending it was only us in this atrocity of a world.

Looks like we'll have to postpone it.

"Good. Now leave. If you don't make the bus you're walking your ass to school." Can't even bother giving me a ride in one of his fancy cars. Shit- he can't even bother getting me a fancy car. Even Alex, my brother, has his own ride to school.

My dad doesn't give me a hug or kiss, or even a "Have a nice day at school, my only daughter!" No. we don't do those kind of things around here. At least not him. My mom on the other hand, she makes sure to contribute enough love for me and my brother.

"Okay." I leave the room quickly. Too quickly. My father knows I'm scared of him. Almost everyone was scared of him. Almost everyone. Jeez, even my mom was scared of him. Not because he hit her. He never hit her. But because of the things she's seen him do.

I'm not disregarding his mistakes or his faults. But he's had a rough fucking life. And no matter what he does to me or my brother, I always keep that in mind. My father deserves better.

- - -

The day was almost over as I was sitting in my last period class, waiting for the bell to ring so that I can finally leave this shit hole.

I was doodling little things in my book. You know, just some symbols I made up, and little drawings of aliens.

"Pssst." a whisper came from beside me. I turned my head to see... May.

I dreaded every moment and every class I had with May. She was a brat, and I've known her since third grade. I feel sorry for myself.

"Do you have a pencil I can use?" she asked

No. Well yes. But not for you.

Obviously I wasn't about to let her use my resources, THAT I PAID FOR. Well, my Dad paid for them, but you know. Sharing is caring. Except when it comes to May.

I shrug my shoulders. "Uhm, you know the bell is about to ring, so I don't really think I should give you anything."

She tilts her head to the side and gives me a glare. "Wow. Okay, I see how it is." She said it in a playful manner, but if anything comes out of her mouth, it's nothing playful.

"O-kay." I turn back to my notebook and close it. I pack up MY pencils, and wait for the teacher to excuse us. Because apparently the bell doesn't dismiss us.

"Okay class, start packing up, the bell is gonna ring in three minutes." My teacher stated.

- - -

As soon as I walk in the door, I hear shushed voices coming from down the hall. It's my parents. And I know I shouldn't eavesdrop, because that's like super rude. But if you were around my dad for at least five minutes, you would know that it does not compare.

My footsteps are quiet and soft as I move forward, towards my dad's office.

"I don't want them to go there. Cant they just stay home? Elliot, please." My mom sounds mortified. Her voice is soft and worried.

"Camila, they've never even stepped foot at the headquarters. How many times are you gonna keep them from this. It's going to happen sooner or later. Better sooner, then later, yes?"

"No! It's not better sooner. It's better if they don't go at all."

"You knew what you were getting into the day you married me. I warned you, did I not?'

"Oh. I'm sorry that I actually care about our children." My mom glares up at him, not backing away.

"I do care. That's why I'm doing this." My mom scoffs and steps away from my father. He rubs his hands down his face and groans.

"Mi amor. Can't you just trust me on this?" My dad touches her shoulder. She turns around, her eyes softening at his touch.

"Can you promise that they won't get hurt." My mom asks, tears threatening to spill.

"You know I can't do that." His hands comes to her face, and holds it. He leans down and kisses her tears away. Where is this affection when me and my brother are crying?

I tear my eyes away at the sound of the phone ringing. My parents breakaway and come toward the door. The door that I'm standing at, listening to their conversation. The ringing is coming from the kitchen.

I quickly throw my backpack over my shoulders, and run for the stairs. Hoping they didn't see, nor hear me. And right when I closed my door, I let my bag drop to the ground. I sigh tiredly.

My eyes flutter close, and I welcome the sleekness that started to wash over me. Well, that is until my mom calls me and my brother's name, asking us to come down.

Me and my brother walk down the stairs together, side by side.

"Are you guys ready to leave?" My mother's sweet voice stops us in our tracks.

I look over to my brother, but he's staring at my father. His head is tilted and his eyebrows are knitted. "Yes." He says for the both of us.

- - -

The car ride is long and boring. I can tell we're almost there, because we're starting to drift away from the city, and more towards the big lands.

"No fighting." My mom reminds us as we pull up to a big- and I mean BIG- house.

I could feel my heart in my throat. Please don't be awkward. Please, please, please. Please don't let this go south. Please, please, please.

I don't want to be near this house, yet alone have a dinner here.

There's rumors in our Mafia, saying how our prince killed four men before the first one could hit the ground.

Although I'm a little skeptical of it. I mean- come on. FOUR??? That's crazy impossible.

But just incase.

I have no intention to find out if it's true or not.

———

𝐈𝐍𝐒𝐓𝐀 : 𝐛𝐥𝐲𝐧𝐧

𝐈𝐍𝐒𝐓𝐀 : 𝐛𝐥𝐲𝐧𝐧.𝐬𝐦𝐢𝐝𝐭