Chapter Twenty Six - It Feels Good To Be Wooed For a Change

Start from the beginning

"Hey," He grinned at me opening the door wider.

"Hi," I smiled back at him. I tentatively stepped inside and glanced around. Pictures hung on every space on the walls imaginable. Balloons and party streamers draped along the ceiling edges along with a handmade sign that had the words 'happy birthday' printed on with glitter.

"You look beautiful," Alexander whispered as he lead me into the hallway and to the small kitchen with his hand on the small of my back.

I blushed furiously, "Thank you."

I walked into the yellow painted kitchen to see a short, brown haired woman in a long sundress who was currently icing a vanilla cake. Bryan was sitting at the kitchen table and munching on chips. Beside him was what looked like an older version of Alexander with grey hair. He wore a party hat on his head as well as a sash that read 'birthday boy!'

Alexander's mom turned around quickly when she heard me enter and dropped her spatula, walking over to me quickly. "Olivia! It's so nice to finally meet you! Oh, Alexander goes on and on about you." She pulled me into a warm embrace.

"It's nice to meet you too, Mrs. Owens." I wrapped my arms around her, bouquet and all.

"Please call me Andrea." She stepped back but kept her hands on my upper arms as she looked at me. "I can't tell you how nice it is to see you in person. I was beginning to think you were a figment of Alexander's imagination. Oh, he had such a wild imagination growing up. One time-"

"Give her some breathing space, Andrea," Alexander's dad chirped, standing up from his seat, which I had just realized was bedazzled with hundreds of gemstones and filled in with glitter. It was almost blinding to the eye.

He walked over to me before hugging me as well. I guess I learned where Alexander got his great disposition from. His family was so inviting. "It's so nice to meet you, Olivia. I'm Patrick."

"Nice to meet you too," I smiled, handing the bouquet to him, "Happy birthday!"

"Thank you," he grinned in return. "It's been a long time since someone has bought me flowers. It feels good to be wooed for a change."

"Don't get used to it," Andrea rolled her eyes at him.

Alexander tugged my hand with his and pulled out a chair at the table for me. As I sat down Bryan spoke in his soft tone, "Hey."

"Hi, Bryan." I smiled at him. He continued to eat chips.

"I hope you're hungry, Olivia. Andrea's cooking enough for the entire street for some reason." Patrick announced sarcastically, sitting back down in his bedazzled chair.

"Whatever's left you can have for leftovers," Andrea reasoned going back to icing the cake.

"We'll be eating leftovers for a month," Patrick stated dryly.

"Oh hush," Andrea scolded, "Bryan will take some home, won't you Bryan?"

"For sure, Mrs. O," Bryan replied.

"Hello, other son here," Alexander cut in, "I can take food home."

"You get to make your own food," Andrea replied, "that's what you get for barely visiting us lately."

Alexander scratched the back of his head, "I'm sorry, it's been pretty busy."

Andrea glanced at me with a small smile on her face, "I'm sure you have been busy."

"I brought in that awful bedazzled chair, didn't I?" Alexander asked.

"Technically I helped," Bryan stated.

"Now you decide to add into the conversation?" Alexander turned to face his friend who chuckled lightly. I hadn't seen Bryan this interactive, ever. It was nice to see. He seemed almost comfortable here.

"This chair is tradition, Alexander. When it's your birthday you'll have to sit in this god awful contraption as well." Patrick ran a hand down his arm and showed us the glitter that was now stuck all over him.

I laughed and Alexander turned to me in accusation, "I'm sorry, I just really want to see you in that bejewelled chair."

Andrea's eyes twinkled, "I have a ton of pictures."

I jumped up, "I'd love to see them!"

Alexander tugged my arm down so I was seated again, "I think it's a bit early for pictures."

"The food's in the oven, the cake is iced, I think it's perfect timing," Andrea chimed happily.

I got up again and grinned lopsidedly at Alexander before following Andrea out of the kitchen. She took me up the stairs and my eyes fell on picture after picture of Andrea, Patrick, Alexander, and a beautiful brown haired girl who I assumed was Victoria. She had the brightest smile I'd ever seen and the kindest eyes. She was gorgeous.

"That was Victoria," Andrea said softly from next to me.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to stare. She was beautiful."

"Like and angel. Inside and out." She replied.