1

╔═════ ∘◦ ✾ ◦∘ ══════╗
prologue
╚═════ ∘◦ ❈ ◦∘ ══════╝

You were a dreamer.

You dreamed of a lot of things as a child, and you dreamed of a lot of things as a teen.

Reality sucks, so you try to find an escape.

One of the things you often dream about is experiencing a fateful encounter.

Like perhaps, meeting Shrek. Or something more realistic, like unicorns.

If someone were to ask you about your fateful encounter with someone, you'd definitely tell them about that one time you made a precious friend after school. He listened to your woes and never once judged you.

He died the following day, sadly.

The class weren't too fond of him because he was a spider so they whacked him.

But you have another fateful encounter. One that doesn't involve spiders and a horrible death.

You were walking your dog around the neighborhood. Nothing was out of the ordinary – you were holding the leash, and your dog barked at everyone he meets like the angry gremlin he is.

You always felt safe when you're with your dog because no one dared to approach you. That includes the delinquents that loiter around the neighborhood.

Call it scary dog privilege.

This time, something happened.

During the walk, you came across a group of boys on the playground. They were mocking and jeering at another boy, who was the shortest among them with blond hair. Though for someone who was ganged up on by a bunch of older boys, he looked pretty calm.

So, you did what any sane person would do.

You stepped in like it was your business.

"Hey! It's not fair to go against a single person when you have a whole group with you."

They all turned to you, a girl in her gym uniform with a pet dog.

They broke out into laughter like the fools they were. Probably at the fact that a girl is intervening.

"Does it like we care?" One of them sneered.

"Yeah! Why don't you just walk away and go play with your dolls or something?" This made them laugh louder. What a lame comeback.

"Sure!" You grinned, pointing a finger at the boy they were bothering. "But he's coming with me."

This shut them up. Now, they're looking at you in shock, the blond boy included.

One of the boys stomped towards you, fuming. "Hey, who the hell do you think you are!? Why should we listen to you?"

Yikes. What have you done, [y/n]?

You continued to feign ignorance while he continued to yell at your face, enraged by your complacent behavior.

You tried to politely ask them to let the boy go with you once more, but he simply didn't budge. If anything, he got even angrier.

At last, you decided on calling them out for picking on a kid who's two times smaller than them and in a large number at that, and this set them off.

The boy roughly grabbed your collar. Wrong move.

Wroof! Wroof!

Your dog glowered at him, baring his teeth. Startled, the boy hastily let go of you and scrambled back to his group.