➳selcouth

Hey, I'm aware that this story is going so slow and that I'm writing and nothing seems to be happening. I'm not very good at pacing and keeping the whole thing interesting, so if I'm boring you then I am really sorry.

What I've decided to do is pick it up a little bit, and you might think that it's going a bit fast, but it's better than boring, right? :p

That's why this chapter is a bit longer, I've smushed several things together that would probably have taken up about three had I have done it according to my original plan.

I've got a general idea of where this is going, but I can't say for sure. The writing does the writing, but it will get interesting soon, promise.

But yeah, I actually enjoyed writing this chapter, so, um... Hopefully you'll like it?

{also I started a side project so if you're interested check it out for me;)}

~Georgia

Selcouth- unfamiliar, rare, strange- and yet marvellous.

"Where the hell have you been?"

My mother's yelling assaulted my eardrums as soon as I opened the front door. She was standing, practically seething with rage in the doorway of the kitchen, the expression on her face making me rather worried, in all honesty.

"Um..." several remarks flew through my head, all of which were not going to help my case any. Obviously it was a lot later than I'd thought, and maybe I should have rang home and told her where I was. But, come on, I was seventeen years old, and pretty sure I could take care of myself.

"Don't you 'um' me, Frank. You are four and a half hours late home- it's nearly half past ten! I was absolutely frantic, where the hell have you been?"

My mother was prone to overreacting, although maybe there was a slight possibility that she was right- at least this time. Familiar gnawings of guilt were beginning to chew at my stomach- I might be a typical kind of teenager, but I was sensible, and I could see why this situation would annoy my mother so much. Hopefully it wouldn't be too bad; I could explain, apologise, and then maybe I'd get off without a punishment. Taking a deep breath, I began.

"I was in the woods." I figured she didn't need to know that I was there with Public Enemy Number One- because that could pretty much be a rant in itself. 

"The woods!"

"Yeah..?"

I was wrong when I'd thought that would help. She did well not to implode.

"Are you stupid? You've heard the stories about the kind of things going on in those woods recently! It's not safe, Frank, especially not at night!"

Ah. I'd forgotten about that. The 'kinds of things' really were enough of a reason to stay out of the woods, and now I'd thought about it, it scared me a little. Some, um... questionable things had turned up recently, that being a gun, a holdall bag with about five hundred thousand dollars in, a rather large pool of unidentified blood (my stomach churned at the thought) and there were rumours there'd been a body- although it hadn't been a public announcement if that was true.

Honestly, the woods would have been the last place I'd have gone if I'd have remembered. 

"I forgot," I replied lamely.

"You forgot. You think I could have just 'forgot' if you'd have been killed?"

Oh, great. She was beginning to work herself up into a mood- and I'd have to actually put in an effort to speak to her, or risk being grounded for what little time I had spare.