VIII

Rest

The night went with such tranquility, the two of you returned to the Inn with a smile on your face, without a word.

The silence was not "bad". It made you feel more like... free.

Yes... You felt free.

Perhaps...

Perhaps... This is true happiness?.. Not just because everyone told you to be, but you felt genuinely happy, with your work, with the Traveler, with Paimon, with all the people at the Inn...

With Xiao...

Looking from the corner of your eye, you saw him walking just meters away from you, distracted by the nature surrounding you, but also keeping an eye to the monsters lurking in Guili Plains.

You felt grateful by his gesture, but decided to give him some company.

"So, Xiao," you saw how he stiffened by the mention of his name. To hear your voice was still so new to him, "why do you like Almond Tofu?"

"It... taste like the dreams I used to devour, before meeting Rex Lapis". He looked at you to see your reaction, and encountered a little girl with her eyes sparkling, waiting to hear more of his stories.

"Can I ask how... How was the Geo Archon?! Last year, in Liyue, that gigantic beast was one that also took part on the Archon War?! And a Fatui was able to summon it?!"

You remembered how that day your life was at risk, only because you were curious of what was happening far away, in the sea.

It was almost as if the ocean would eat the entire Harbor, so you climbed a house and watched from its roof all the fight, from beginning to the end.

It was sad, though, to see the Jade Chamber being thrown to that monster. Everyone knew how special it was to Lady Ningguang, but thanks to her idea, peace came to Liyue afterwards.

Days later, you heard that the adepti also took part on the battle.

And to think one of them was at your side now.

Xiao was surprised by your enthusiasm. It was as if you were now a different person.

But he found that kind of... interesting.

He told you everything that happened that day, how the Traveler helped and the method used by that Fatui boy, Tartaglia, later explained by the Traveler, too.

It was so unlike him to talk this much, but this just showed how much he appreciated your company.

He knew nothing special would develop between you two, given his status as an adeptus and the karmic binds he had, and you, your life, like a candle that either dies because its time it's over, or because someone decided to.

Yet... He wanted to, at least, appreciate the moments.

You returned safely to Wangshu Inn, only to encounter that almost every light was off, meaning that everyone may be asleep, except for the boss or her husband, who would switch turns every other night.

Going up the stairs, you noticed that, today, was Verr turn to be awake.

"Ah, [Y/N]! You're finally back. How was the festival at the harbor?"

"It was good! Although, I stayed at-"

"Oh!" Verr looked like she was going to jump all over the place from the surprise. "You talked! Your voice is so cute! Does that mean that... Xiao was the one you were looking for?"

Ah... You forgot that Verr knew...

It was an accident, though. She found you crying in the balcony one of the many days you stayed here before, and just wanted to help calm you down.

You turned around, to see if Xiao went to the balcony and tell her everything, but you found him staring at you at the other side of the room.

Does he know what I was planning to do?

Is he angry?

These thoughts crossed your mind, making you nervous, so you quickly returned your attention to Verr, whispering a yes and to change the topic, which made her squeal in excitement.

"Ah... I'm so happy for you! Who would've thought that Xiao was that person, huh? But, anyway, I was waiting to tell you that you have a day off, so you can visit Qingce. You better go rest now. Have a good night!"

You wished Verr a good night, and went to Xiao, who still was listening to the conversation, to continue the walk to your room

"How long has she known?" he asked. Contrary to what you thought, he seemed more curious than angry.

"Some months ago, I think. Quite embarrassing, now that I remember, but it just happened." A sigh escaped your lips, and you were now at your door. "Thank you for coming to see the lanterns with us, Xiao. Have a good night."

Nodding, Xiao saw you off, and later went to the balcony.

Adepti have no need of rest.

help- I was writing with this playlist and- tHE CHAT- GOSH THE CHAT AHAHAHAHAHAHA

This one was more like a filler chapter, but I wanted to compensate the lack of Xiao content. I hope you still like it ;(