chapter 16: good day

Start from the beginning

"Of course, of all people, you would know." Another veteran writer, Shin Sehyeon, says grinning at Sohee and Haneul but the latter is sitting next to me and he isn't smiling.

"Sunbae, what does that even mean?" Sohee asks chuckling.

"Seunghee is really new to the industry but I see a lot of potential in her." Haneul says, changing the topic. He turns to me. "If you hang out like this with the veterans, you will learn a lot."

"Aigoo, who are you calling veterans?" Park Soojung asks even though I could tell she's liking it.

"Thank you for letting me have lunch with you." I say to everyone.

"Seunghee-ssi, we go camping every other weekend. Why don't you come with us this weekend? It's good to refresh our creative minds." Shin Sehyeon suggests.

"Unless you're too busy writing. I know Haneul can be demanding when it comes to work." Sohee says without looking at me even though I feel her throw a brief glance when Haneul put some of the grilled meet at the top of my rice bowl.

There's something going on here and I don't want to be in the middle of it, but I would go to that weekend camp for connections. "I would love to. I can write anywhere." I say.

And then Cha Hyunjin comes with his hair slightly messy and his chest moving up and down from panting. "Hello! Sorry for being late!" He says and I stare at him for a few seconds before I manage to look away.

"Aigoo, Hyunjin-ah, why are you late again this time?" Park Soojung asks him.

"Is it your girlfriend again? Yah, at this point, you should just get married." Shin Sehyeon says jokingly.

Haneul shoots me a look. I do not react.

"What are you talking about? They're so young." Soojung says.

"That kind of mindset is why you're still not married, Soojung-ah."

"I would choose my career over men in any of my lifetimes." Soojung says smirking before turning to Hyunjin. "But marriage? You said you haven't been dating that long."

Why should I even be surprised that everybody knows Hyunjin already? He got into KBC shortly after college and I was struggling to get a company to accept my manuscripts.

"Stop prying on his personal life, sunbaenim." Sohee says, grinning. "Cha Hyunjin, have you met Seunghee?"

"Of course, they've met. The three of us are working together." Haneul replies with a hint of annoyance in his tone. It kinda made me want to smile.

"We went to the same college." Hyunjin says, meeting my eyes briefly.

"Oh, that's great. You two know each other then." Sehyeon says. "You're lucky. Hyunjin is so nice and he will be able to guide you well in this field."

"Ah, why? Am I not good enough, sunbaenim?" Haneul asks light heartedly.

"Why don't you ask Seunghee?" Sehyeon asks back, grinning.

I swallow the food in my mouth as Haneul turns to me. "That's right. There was a time when I wanted to quit, to be honest. Haneul convinced me otherwise. He's really inspiring when he wants to be." I say with a laugh.