2-Before Cheeku Met Mahi Bhai...

Mahi walked away from a terribly worried Rohit, in search of the hotel manager. That kid had lost his mobile again and as usual, he had rushed to his Mahi bhai to help him find his phone. After asking Ro to recollect all the places he had been to since their arrival at the hotel, Mahi checked all those places. But the mobile was not to be found. After 2 hours of search party, he finally decided to seek the help of the hotel manager. He had instructed Rohit to keep searching. 

As Mahi marched to the reception, he recalled those early days when Ro was new to the team. He had been so scared and hesitant to approach Mahi when he had lost his mobile. But now as soon as he realises that he had lost something, he rushes to him and Mahi has to help him find it. Things have changed and Mahi has become Mahi bhai to little Ro. That made Mahi smile. 

Mahi enquired the receptionist about the manager and he was directed to the manager's cabin, which was right behind the reception desk. He thanked the receptionist and moved to meet the manager. When he elaborated everything to the manager, the manager promised to look for the mobile. He asked Mahi to wait for sometime and immediately proceeded to make some calls. At that time Mahi took the liberty to look around the cabin. It was minimally furnished but looked elegant. The wall between the cabin and the reception was made of tinted glass, meaning, he could see the people outside but they could not see him. He quickly occupied himself in observing what is happening there, the different people- workers, tourists and of course his teammates. You can call it people watching, unarguably one of the most entertaining pastimes. When he saw Yuvi and Bhajji heading outside, talking excitedly among themselves, the spring in Yuvi's steps made the alarm blare in his head. They're upto something!

A few moments after Yuvi and Bhajji's exit, someone entered the hotel premise. He looked familiar and Mahi tried to recall who he is exactly. Something about that guy intrigued Mahi. He looked like a teen or maybe just past his teens. There was a slight bounce in his steps and his walk seemed confident and hesitant at the same time. Like he wanted to walk fast but at the same time something was pulling him back, slowing him down. His eyes wandered around the hotel, eager and restless. There was a twinkle in his eyes, but his grip on his bags tightened nonetheless. A smile played on his lips and that silly smile somehow made Mahi smile too.

As the young guy was coming near, near to the reception, near to Mahi, Mahi got a clear look at him. And then it struck him. Virat Kohli. The new addition to their team. And just like that, Mahi's smile grew wide. He turned around comfortably and started watching Virat, with more interest. 

Virat came to the reception desk and started saying something. Maybe asking for his room number. And all the while Mahi was observing the guy. He was bouncing in his place and though it was tough to notice, he did see that he was murmuring something to himself as the receptionist checked for his name in the register. His eyes were constantly looking around, never stopping at a place, too eager to take it all in. When he was looking around, he suddenly stopped. His legs were not bouncing, his lips were not murmuring and his eyes staring right at Mahi. Mahi was thrown off guard. This glass is tinted, right? Right?? he wondered.

It was a very important day in Virat's life. And he was excited and nervous, happy and apprehensive, eager and hesitant, all at once. He did not know he was vibrating with all this feelings, until he saw himself in the mirror, right behind the receptionist desk. Oh God, I am shaking too much. And stopped his movements at once. He tried look at ease and all casual, as he diverted his gaze from the mirror. He kept his movement at check. No bouncing, no talking to yourself, no looking here, there and everywhere. Casual. Easy. 

Mahi sighed in relief when Virat looked away, which quickly turned into a chuckle as he looked at Virat changing his mannerism. Maybe he was trying to look casual or perhaps, confident. But this swift change in his demeanor, only established the fact that he was nervous. Somehow Virat standing still did not look natural. He looked like an over excited bunny and standing still just did not suit him. Even the receptionist looked up at him when the bouncing guest became still at once, before looking into the register again. She then picked up a key and handed it over to him, informing him about his room and giving him directions. Virat flashed a smile, took his key and moved away.

He is different from Ro. Very different and also very endearing.

As Mahi watched his retreating back, Mahi did not know, this over excited bunny would one day become his beloved Cheeku. That this Delhi ka chokra would become a vital part of his life, someone as important to him as cricket itself. And Virat did not know that years later he would fondly recall this day as the day he met his Mahi Bhai. They did not know that one day the world would tell tales about MahiRat. 

Do vote and comment ❤️