chapter twenty one

Start from the beginning

I don't need a babysitter, Ophelia thought bitterly.

She walked over to the desks opposite of Remus and sat down.

"And what is it that I'm supposed to be doing exactly?"

"Lines. 'I will not show up late to class again'."

Ophelia scoffed, "It was one time!"

"I don't make the rules, just oversee them as a prefect." raising his hands above his head, as if surrendering.

Ophelia bent down into her bag to retrieve a piece of parchment and a quill, wincing a bit from the large scars across her back. Remus noticed.

Twenty minutes went by, and in the past five, Remus hadn't stopped watching her. Ophelia noticed.

"Would you stop staring at me?"

"I'm not staring at you."

"Oh sorry, you've just been watching me for the past five minutes straight, my bad to assume that you weren't just reading."

"I was just staring off into space."

"Yeah sure."

"Why do you keep wincing?"

"What?"

"Oh don't play dumb with me Black-"

"Black? Oh I see how it is, Lupin," Ophelia stood up from the desk and walked out into the middle of the room. Remus did the same.

"Stop changing the subject! What the hell happened to you over the holidays that you're not telling any of us about?"

"I don't know what you're talking about, Lupin. Nothing happened, and even if something did, I wouldn't tell you of all people."

"Have you told anyone then?"

"No-"

"So something did happen?"

"No, nothing happened! Wouldn't you think Sirius would tell you if something happened?"

"Sirius doesn't like to talk about his homelife-"

"And neither do I, so why are you forcing me to?"

"I'm not forcing you to do anything! I just want to know if you're ok!"

"I'm fine, but if I wasn't, that's none of your business!"

"But it is my business!"

"How??"

"Because Black, I don't want you to get hurt! You're my friend and-"

"Well, you haven't been acting like it!"

"How the hell have I not been acting like it?"

"Well for one, Lupin, you left me unconscious on the top of the astronomy tower!"

"I did not leave you unconscious-"

"Two, you're trying to find out about things that you are not, never have been, and will never be a part of!"

"So is this it? We're just not friends anymore?"

"Yeah, I guess so. Maybe next time, Lupin, you'll know not to nose your way into other people's personal lives!"

"For the last time Black, I am not nosing my way into things! I'm merely trying to make sure that you're safe!"

"Well I am, so you can stop trying!"

"No, you most certainly are not!"

"I am fine, Lupin, just drop it!"

"I know for a fact that you are not fine!"