Prologue

November 1st, 1981

It was an average day in gloomy London, nothing peculiar really set it apart from any other winter day. Men and women polluted the streets, huddled in their coats and sipping on warm beverages as they hurried about, minding their own business. Small piles of snow in various shades of white and brown littered the streets and sidewalks as steam danced through the iron openings in the ground, just as it always did on a cold winter day in the late morning.

But, as the muggle world on the surface experienced nothing but normalcy, a young girl many miles beneath the city, in a world that couldn't be further than normal, sat on a chair that was far too big for her. She was no more than three, and if you asked, she would likely inform you with pride that she was three years and one month, a very exciting accomplishment and highly praised by her mother and father. She had shifted herself closer to the edge of the chair so that she could swing her legs over the edge as she looked around the hallways that she had been sitting in for what felt like an eternity, of course when you're three years and one month old, five minutes can feel like a century at least.

The hallways felt cold and empty. Every so often you could hear the distant echoes of footsteps falling against the marble floors and the squeals of door hinges that had gone far too long without being fixed. With every passing moment the girl wished that she could just leave, go home. She was becoming more and more restless but didn't dare get up from her seat for fear the stern looking wizard who had told her to stay put in the first place would return and get her into trouble.

It wasn't clear to her why she was there, she just remembered being pulled from a deep sleep, told to dress, and whisked away by the woman she had been staying with for the last couple of days. Next thing she knew, she sat here, in a chair, in an unfamiliar place. She had asked if she was being taken to see her parents, but she was only met with silence and another stern look.

As she thought back to the events of the night, the young girl tugged at one of her honey colored braids and began to swing her legs over the edge of the large chair. She was more and more nervous as time moved forward, so much so she almost missed it when one of the doors closest to her opened and a tall man with red hair approached her. He had kind eyes and a warm smile that he offered to her as he came closer. 

The tall man knelt in front of the tiny girl and tried his best to give her a smile. Unfortunately, it proved difficult for him. She was the victim of a tragedy and he had to be the one to break it to her. When he had reported for duty that morning, this was the last thing on his mind. In fact, he had hoped working in a department like Muggle Studies would mean he wouldn't have to have these types of conversations with young wizards, but here he was; called to duty on account of the Ministry being understaffed. 

"Hello, my name is Arthur Weasley," he said. "What's your name?" he asked. He already knew, but he wanted to give the young girl a chance to speak.

"April Gold," the young girl said, very matter-of-factly.

"Nice to meet you, April," Arthur replied warmly. April wasn't sure why, but this man was comforting to her. He made her feel safe and he reminded her of a big teddy bear her father had won for her at the carnival.

"Where's my mum and dad?" she asked. "I want to go home." Her simple words broke Arthur's heart as he gazed into the face of this child.

"April, that's why I'm here to talk to you," he sighed. He put his hand out to her and she hesitated before placing hers in the palm of his. "There was an accident," he started, trying to find the right words. Explaining loss to young kids was a complicated thing and he needed to be careful. "Your parents... something happened."

April knew what he was trying to say. She could tell from the tone in his voice to the look on his face; she was never going to see her parents again. Tears welled up in her eyes and her little bottom lip began to quiver. Arthur Weasley's heart broke even more and he pulled the little girl into a comforting hug. Now what? He couldn't very well leave her like this, with this sort of news. Alone on the most earth shattering day of your life and at such a young age. He couldn't fathom it.