Code 25: Life-line

"Yusuke, where are you?" I asked through the line with impatience. Today was the day we had the flight to Taiwan and as we planned I was in front of the police station with the car and our luggage to pick up Yusuke who wasn't even at the station! I called him two times, my eyes fixed on my wrist watch, and finally he answered the third call.

"I am coming," he replied with an apologetic tone. I heard his running steps, so I looked around to see if he was around, but no.

"Where are you... exactly?" I pressed again as there was only forty five minutes left to the flight.

"On my way?" Yusuke evaded my question and I palmed my face, he wasn't even near here!

"What shall we do? Where shall we meet?" I asked with a rising panic. Nakamura-san gave us those tickets alongside a hotel reservation, so if we missed the flight... I didn't even want to think.

"I-" Yusuke started, but I heard Ozawa-san's voice behind, telling Yusuke to hop in. Then I heard the police car siren and my hope was replenished.

Another ten minutes and I heard the angry voice of the siren and Ozawa-san literally drifted the car and stopped in front of me.

"Get the luggage, let's go!" he shouted and I obeyed immediately. With the siren on, Ozawa-san stepped on the gas again and we were on the road to the airport.

"I am so sorry, Kazuya, it was an urgent arrest," Yusuke apologized with his puppy eyes.

"We will talk about this later, now I am busy with praying not to miss the flight," I checked my watch again as if by that way, the minute hand wouldn't dare to move.

When we finally reached the airport, we grabbed the luggage and ran to the check-in desk, then to the gate. Not surprisingly, we were the last ones admitted to the plane and when we took our seats, I was drenched with sweat.

After the plane took off, Yusuke leaned towards me and whispered, "are you still angry?"

"I am not angry, I was just so worried about missing our own wedding," I explained, but my tone might be a little dejected. For once, I wanted Yusuke to put himself first, but he ended up in an urgent arrest. Who would go to work on the day of a flight to his own wedding?

"I know, I am sorry," he reached and held my hand and only then I noticed I wasn't wearing my ring.

I saved my hand to check and my ring was really missing! My mind went into a frenzy while I was checking my pockets.

"Missing something?" Yusuke asked and I couldn't even answer, drowning in abashment as well as sadness. Then Yusuke grabbed my hand and turned my palm up before placing a familiar object on it.

"How?" I asked as I saw it was my ring.

Yusuke chuckled, "I took it off you this morning," he confessed, "actually the arrest was a fast one, but these two took more time than I had expected."

He pointed to the inside of the ring and I saw it was engraved 'my life-line'. Tears welled to my eyes as I took his off and saw the same engraving.

"Did you like it?" he asked and I nodded whole-heartedly.

"It is so beautiful, thank you," I gave him a kiss on the cheek, my resentment already evaporating into the air.

"Now they are official wedding rings," Yusuke exclaimed happily, not giving a damn about the guy sitting next to him.

"I love you, my life-line."

"I love you too, my life-line."

***

While I was waiting for Yusuke in the dressing room, my heart was about to explode with excitement. I walked back and forth, trying to calm my heartbeats, but the moment Yusuke entered the room with his dark-blue two piece suit, all my efforts were wasted.

"You look incredibly handsome," I complimented him with my suddenly dry mouth and Yusuke blushed, making me want to jump on him right there.

"You look very attractive as well, I love black on you," Yusuke said with darkened eyes as he helped me to fix my necktie.

"Shall we?" I reached my hand and hand in hand, we walked through the aisle to the register.

Overwhelmed by excitement and brimming with happiness, I missed most of the part except saying "I do" and hearing Yusuke repeat it.

"... I now officially pronounce you husband and husband."

Finally! I didn't even wait for the register to tell us to kiss before I grabbed Yusuke's collar, pulling him to my avid lips. There, I kissed him as if there was no tomorrow and feeling the fervent response of Yusuke, I reached cloud nine.

"I am the happiest man in this universe," Yusuke said with love-filled eyes.

"Only after me," I replied and pulled him for another kiss.

***

That's the end!

🌺Thank you so much for reading my story🌺

💚💚Special thanks to the ones who voted and commented,

you guys are the best💚💚