Part Forty One

As soon as Shivaay and Annika had left, Gauri began clearing up the dishes, and a while later, she heard Omkara walking back in. He silently offered to help her clear the table, and do the dishes in thoughtful silence.

"Annika Bhabhi will be fine, right?" Gauri asked Omkara, who only shrugged, unsure. "As long as she's in that house, she will not have a minute's peace, because my family refuses to change! They, especially Choti Maa, were toxic and will continue to be toxic. I hope Shivaay moves out with Bhabhi, at least temporarily, for the sake of their health, happiness, and peace."

Omkara rinsed the soiled dishes in the sink and began soaping them up, while Gauri decided to wipe each of the washed ones. "Poor Bhabhi, she deserves all the happiness in the world," Gauri said, and Omkara agreed. "Shivaay and I got talking," he said a while later, and at her raised brows, he proceeded to narrate the whole episode to her.

"I don't blame Bhaiyya, actually!" Gauri said listening to all that he had said, making Omkara frown, as she continued, "All his life, he has been fed with constant reminders that he is the bada beta and the waaris of the house. You're forgetting that if Daadi's favourite grandson is her Billu, it is because he had been shouldered with the responsibility to carry that label, burdening him with the pressures of living up to expectations. From a very young age, he has been conditioned all his life to be the perfect role model to his brothers as well."

Omkara listened to her and nodded, agreeing with her. "Also," she said while wiping a plate dry, making him turn to look at her, "You were always the rebellious child, never scared to stand up for what's right, never scared of the consequences. One of the reasons you too grew up too quickly was because you had to fend for yourself, as well as be a parent-figure to Rudra when Mom and Mr. Oberoi had their issues. The difference, however, between your thinking and Bade Bhaiyya's, is that while he was conditioned to be an obedient child while scaring him with the consequences of not following the rules, you grew up on your own terms and conditions. That is exactly why, today, you don't hesitate to speak your mind out, while Bade Bhaiyya hesitates to say anything that might hurt the family, because he has been conditioned that way."

Omkara smiled, as he passed the washed dish to her, "Not bad, Sharma! You've not just learned to read me, but also my whole family!" Gauri chuckled, shaking her head, saying, "You're not that difficult to read, Oberoi. You're actually an open book. Tere dil ki baat tere aankhon mein saaf dikhta hai!" she said, wiping the last of the dishes, and hanging the cloth on the stand to dry.

"Really?" he asked, surprised and amused at the same time, "So, what do my eyes tell you right now?" She looked at him as he bent his head so that their eyes were at the same level. Looking at the mirth in his eyes, she said with a grin, "Right now, you're thinking of how lucky you are to have married an amazing woman like me!" He narrowed his eyes as he said with a genuine smile, "That, I am!"

Omkara turned the tap on to wash his hands, but the water pressure was suddenly too much that the water ended up splashing on Gauri. "Oberoi!" she frowned, thinking that he deliberately splashed water on her, and bent ahead to scoop water in her hands to throw at him. "Hey! That was by accident!" he said, furrowing his brows when she threw water right at his face. Gauri's mouth formed at O when he glared at her for throwing water.

She was about to run, when he held her arm and pulled her close to him. "Bahut maza aa raha hai tujhe?" he asked with a wicked grin, as he opened the tap to continuously splash water on her while holding her in a tight hold. "Oberoi! No! Don't!" she squealed at the cold water trickling down her head and wriggled to push him away. When she did, and he stumbled slightly, she gathered enough water in her palms and threw it right back at him, before turning the tap off. She laughed when he was caught off guard, and ran before he could throw water again.