12. The Last Lap

Author's Note:

A shock, hopefully. Prepare your heart.

NSFW.

******************

Prime Minister of Goryo, Mr. Kim Woo Bin, was staring at his flat screen
TV, after the King made his statement in front of the recently bombed convenience store. The King looked furious. Even as an adult and a prime minister, he felt scared watching that expression.

Pyeha and Wangbi Mama were an extraordinary couple, he thought. Wangbi Mama seemed to appear out of thin air last October. The King who never announced any women as a partner, suddenly said he was married.

Thinking he had to do it for Pyeha's sake, Woo Bin tried to investigate about the queen's background, but discovered nothing. Pyeha might have deleted anything related to the queen's past from the internet.

It's so shocking and horrible because after the private wedding, the queen became the subject of many attacks. The King didn't stop the reports on those attacks, so the whole kingdom knew.

First, the attack at the Royal Library. The palace didn't reveal the content of the brown envelope that made the queen fainted. She was then admitted to the hospital.

The second one was at the Royal Church. Again, there was a brown envelope that made the queen became emotionally disturbed.

The queen then lived at the Duchess Soo Ryeong's mansion for a week. Pyeha then had a car accident, and the Royal Couple returned to the palace.

A month after that, at New Year's eve, when the Royal Couple watched a private show of Ballerina Kim Ji Won, a Royal Guard turned to be an assassin, where he attempted to kill the queen and the ballerina was murdered in cold blood.

The next month, the Royal Couple went to Pyeong Yang and Seok Ho Pil, the guard turned traitor, attempted to kill Pyeha, but the queen, who was thankfully a trained detective, killed the traitor.

It's no wonder that Pyeha had mental health issues regarding this. He passed out on an official event and had to be hospitalized, then took a month off. The first time in his 25 years of reign.

Woo Bin, along with the whole kingdom, enjoyed watching the commoners' dates the royal couple had at the convenience store near the Jeju palace.

Then it was brutally bombed with the people inside it. People who passed the royal couple at the time said the queen cried so sadly and the king tried to run back to the store, wanting to help those who couldn't be helped anymore.

Woo Bin stared at his TV screen, which was airing a random coverage of tourism spots in Seoul at the moment.

Why were the royal couple attacked so much in only six months? Of course he had heard about the mysterious separatists. People who no one had seen, but spread malicious rumours about the king.

Their goal seemed to be dethroning the king. Did they have any connections with the traitor Lee Rim and his cronies, who were executed nearly a decade ago?

These attackers didn't want Pyeha on the throne. But Pyeha had been a true leader since he was a child. Goryo grew to be the wealthiest, most prosperous country in Asia during his reign.

So many people tried to register as Goryo's citizens monthly, and they had to be very selective. No citizens of Goryo would want the king to get hurt or dethrone. It's irrational. He's the best thing that had ever happened to the kingdom.

No matter how Woo Bin thought about it, the five conglomerates were the only ones who'd lose from his Non-Disparity Law. Could they infiltrate the elite Royal Guards to hurt the king?