kiss them, or keep them

Content Warning: spencer's pov, necromancer!spencer, death and talks of death, swearing, talks of spencer's traumatic past (kidnapping, addiction, Diana, and prison), post prison/post series, mentions of throwing up, two character death, mentions of Maeve, kissing

this was written as a part of a fantasy au challenge

{***}{***}{***}

I never know what the day usually brings. It was different every time. And it was, of course, different for everyone. No one knows what will happen. Psychics are full of shit when they say they know what happens. Prophets or prophecies were also full of it. Karma, destiny and fate didn't exist either. Although I wish I knew what was going to happen that day, so I didn't go into work, and I could make sure things didn't happen the way they did.

The worst day of my life happened. I always thought it was the day I was kidnapped, or when I was going through withdrawals of Dilaudid, or the day I got the news my mother's condition was worsening. Not even the nearly 3 months in prison were as bad as this day.

The team and I were gone on a case in New York. A young woman was killed and left to be found in a nearby park. The case was a little on the harder side because she didn't have any family, trusted friends, or job history. She was a high risk victim with no leads. Solving this case was going to be harder than usual.

"Reid, you go to the morgue and talk to the M.E. I know it won't be easy, but get as much information as you can. Then get back here as soon as you can." Emily looked at me. I looked back at her and nodded. Collecting my things into my bag, I quickly left, making my way outside to one of the SUVs.

The drive to the morgue was quiet, quick and easy. Usually I hated driving, but cases that I knew were going to be long and tedious I enjoyed them. It gave me the time to call back home and see how my mom and best friend was.

Mom was usually fine. Phone calls with her didn't last too long, mostly because she wouldn't remember who she was on the phone with by the time I had to go. Sometimes I questioned why I called her.

Then I'd call my best friend. Phone calls with them usually lasted longer. If I was gone for weeks at a time, or even a few days, our phone calls would last 45 minutes to an hour. They would tell me about everything they were doing while I was gone, as if I was still there. Those were the phone calls I enjoyed the most.

When I got to the morgue, and I was safe and parked, I called my friend. I made sure that the phone call was short, even though I didn't want to hang up.

"Woah! So you don't know anything about her?" they asked as I unbuckled and got out of the SUV.

"No, so it's hard to say when we'll be back."

"That's so dumb. You can't just... Call out. Say you're sick?"

"You act like you miss me."

"Well... I do! You're my best friend, Spencer!"

"I suppose it's a good thing I miss you too," I laughed and shook my head. "Enough about me. What are you doing today?"

"Well, my brother wanted to get lunch today. But he just called me saying he was sick. I don't think I entirely believe him though. So I'm going to walk to the craft store down the street and to pick up a few things... Crafty to keep me busy," it was their turn to laugh. I smiled and nodded. My head hung low, looking at the pavement as I continued walking.

"Sounds like it'll be fun." I smiled as I paused outside the doors, leaning against the wall. "I gotta go. I'll see you later?"

"Not if I see you first! Bye, Spencer!"