Dick's feelings / Tim's demons

Start from the beginning

I hummed out tiredly when I didn't find him. He wasn't in bed next to me, but the space where he'd been sleeping was still warm, so I knew he hadn't been gone long.

We had gone to take a nap after Tim kept falling asleep on me outside. I figured it would be best for him to get better rest in a bed, rather than on a lounge chair on the back porch.

Even though he said he was fine, I wanted him to recover easily and comfortably.

So while everyone else either went to business meetings or enjoyed their vacation, Tim and I snuggled into bed for a sleep I hadn't realized I needed too.

But where is he now?

Panic filled my senses as I recalled the last time I felt his side of the bed empty. Jack's face flashing in my mind as my eyes widened. I called out his name again, more panicked this time. "Tim?"

I didn't hear an answer, but as I looked around, I noticed the bathroom light was on. "Tim, baby?" The only thing I got in response was a groan.

Reacting on impulse, I flung the covers off of me and jumped up, ignoring the light headed dizzy feeling I got from getting up too fast and quickly made my way to him.

I rushed in, my eyes wide and ready for anything. Growing even more worried when I found him leaned over the toilet, looking every shade of red from his face down to his bare chest.

"Baby? Oh shit, hey what's wrong? Talk to me baby." My knees hit the tile beside him, my hands gently cupping his cheeks. "I'm here. Talk to me."

As I thumbed away tears, he sucked in a ragged breath, looking up at me with a pitiful experience.

Damn, it was breaking my heart.

My heart was pounding in my chest, panic still coursing through me like a rocket.

Something had suddenly made him sick, because he was fine when we went to bed. I know he was. He was!

Taking a deep breath, I tried to calm myself so I didn't make him more anxious then I'm sure he already was.

"Tim, baby, please tell me what's going on." My voice came out surprisingly soft, despite how distressed I was.

He took another ragged breath, grabbing both my wrists. He didn't push me away, but just held onto me, steadying himself as he tried to calm down enough to talk.

Knowing he just needed a moment, I stayed quiet, giving him time to gather his thoughts. "I just...I had a-a really bad dream...I guess it literally made me sick to my stomach." He sighed out, closing his eyes and slumping forward into my arms.

Immediately, I caught him, wrapping my arms around him and pulling him up into my lap. We stayed like this for a while. On the cold bathroom floor with him cuddled into my chest, head in my neck as he focused on breathing.

I just rubbed his back and hummed softly. A tune my mom used to sing to me when I didn't feel good. There was no rush, no need for either of us to move just yet while he composed himself.

"I've got you now, Tim. He can't hurt you anymore. No one ever will again. I'm gonna protect you okay. I promise." My words cracked a little as my voice trembled, but I hoped he felt the power behind them. The truth. Because I meant it. I was going to protect him no matter the cost.

I had fought too much to find him, like hell was I gonna lose him now.

He leaned up, rubbing at his cheek with his palm to get any dry tears off his face. His skin was still flushed and warm, but he looked a little better now. Not so out of it. A little calmer and at ease.