VMMN Part 2: ACT II

ACT II: Welcome to the Rotgut District

The next morning and the rest of the afternoon was pretty uneventful. Avack was training on the deck, though his movements were more tense than usual. Luckily, the people who helped prepare the ship stored some extra planks in the storage room, and the aasimar was flawlessly breaking them in half. Sha'karr was also on deck and leaning against the railing - a, in case he got sea-sick again and b, to keep an eye on Avack. This time, it was Shuka at the steering wheel to give Irid a break, while Irid was in the crow's nest and shouting directions to the former every now and then. Thymus was munching away on goldfish as he fished, waiting for the familiar tug of the fishing pole when he caught one. And then there was Soleil, who was busy working on her 19th flower crown, and soon she would be on her 20th. She already had a pile in her hammock, and she was beginning to run out of flowers. Later, she would go upstairs and make sure Avack was alright. After all, she could hear the sound of splintering wood - even from the lower deck - and it was becoming more and more worrisome each time a plank broke in half.

By the time the moon woke up and the tabaxi was replaced by a looming werewolf with a pile of fish in his arms, the form of a familiar pirate city came into view - and Irid was the first to notice as he flew down to the deck.

"RIDDLEPORT IS RIGHT UP AHEAD!" Irid shouted to the rest of the party.

"We should get into our disguises before we get to the docks." Shuka then frowned as he glanced at the stairs that led to the lower deck. "Let's hope they also packed some extra clothes we can use for disguises."

Looking to Thymus in particular, Irid whispered into Shuka's ear, "You know, we're gonna have to find a clever disguise for Thymus over there."

"I can hear you, you know," Thymus unintentionally growled, walking over to the two birds with his fish in hand. "Want some fish?"

"For some odd reason, I feel offended by that," Shuka mumbled under his breath before clearing his throat. "No thanks, Thymus. We need to get everyone into their disguises. Meet us on the deck once you're ready."

"Uhhh ok. What disguise am I supposed to wear?" Thymus asked with a tilt of his head.

"Anything to cover, uhhhh, that." Irid gestured to the werewolf in general in hopes Thymus got his point.

Looking down, Thymus took one look at his appearance before lifting his head and raising a brow at the bard. "Oh, but I didn't wear a disguise last time."

"Yeah, but I suggest a disguise this time. Even a cloak will do - if we can find one that's big enough for you."

"I can use the sails," Thymus decided with a nonchalant shrug.

"Ahh, we might need that for our return trip home."

"Maybe you can use the cloth from the hammocks?" Shuka suggested.

"Hmm, I'll try," Thymus replied.

"We're almost there?" Avack queried, joining in on the conversation. Behind him was a bunch of broken wooden boards lying on the ground in utter defeat. It was almost frightening.

"Yup, we're about to get into our disguises now," Irid answered.

"FINALLY!" WE'RE COMING FOR YOU BLUEBERRY!" Avack shouted as he ran down the steps to the lower deck.

"Well he didn't take much convincing," Irid noted as Sha'karr walked up to them.

"So I'm assuming we're changing?" Sha'karr queried, eying where Avack had disappeared to.

Shuka nodded. "Yes, we should be there in a few more minutes."

"Then let's not waste anymore time."