forty.

The days after went by in a blur. There was a lot of fooling around with Fred, giggling and kissing in corners and holding hands and letting everyone make fun of us. David left, which was a relief, and my mom's mood changed almost immediately- she was back to her happy, silly self again. Alice and Ron started to spend more time together, leaving Ginny to wander around in a pout, which then would lead to her hanging out with Fred, George and I. And the three of them would make me laugh until my eyes watered and my stomach hurt, and then make fun of me for it as I gasped for breath. We ate heartily, and listened to music at night, and even watched a Christmas movie or two when Mr. Weasley got the TV working.

It was snowing on New Years Eve. Light and soft, covering the ground in blankets throughout the day. Our parents fretted over letting the twins and I go to Peaches's, but George was exceptionally smooth in convincing them, and Bill and Fleur promised to stay up and wait for our return. The rest of the family were headed back to the Potter's house, and so Alice didn't seem put out at all by the idea of being separate for the ringing in of the new year.

She, Ginny and Ron sat in Charlie's room with me as I got ready.

"That's a nice dress." Ron commented as I adjusted the straps. I flashed him a grin.

"It's not a dress." I said.

"Looks like a dress." He said back. I swung a leg up and out, displaying the fabric that hung between.

"Oh, brilliant!" Ginny exclaimed. I went back to finnicking with the straps, which cut into my skin just slightly.

"I know right? Juliet gave it to me a while ago- it's not really her color, anyway." Which was true- the jumpsuit was a deep blue, decorated with yellow shimmering stars. Juliet liked to lean towards warmer colors, but always said I looked best in cooler tones. Something about my hair, and skin complexion. I'd been right to trust her, I thought, as I studied my look in the mirror.

I was letting my hair hang natural tonight, long and pushed back from my face with the enchanted clips from Fleur, which made my hair look shinier and healthier than normal. The necklace Fred gave me was on full display against my clavicle, and the jumpsuit's neckline plunged just slightly deeper than I was used to- which, in all honesty, wasn't deep at all. But it was flattering, and I spun a little, the legs of the suit flaring out around my calves.

"Which shoes are you going to wear?" Alice asked in a bored tone. She was letting Ginny do her makeup with my things, and didn't seem so excited at the premise of having to be up all night.

"I dunno." I said thoughtfully, pinching my chin and looking myself up and down. "I wish I had some heels or something- Fred's so tall.."

Ron and Alice gagged at the same time, but I was too giddy at the idea of Fred to pay them any mind. Ginny let out a happy little hum, and I flashed her a shy grin, before going back to studying my appearance.

"Mom has those yellow shoes. Maybe she could transfigure them to be shiny." Alice pointed out, and then winced when Ginny almost jabbed her eye.

"Sorry." Ginny whispered with a small giggle. Alice simply grunted, and then held her face back out for her friend to continue.

"Mom's feet are slightly smaller than mine." I thought aloud, peering down at my toes.

"Probably could transfigure them to be a little bigger." Alice said. I frowned at my feet, and wiggled them a little.

"Fleur has a pair of blue heels." Ron said thoughtfully, which made us all look at him. He realized a moment too late, and flushed under the attention. "I- I mean, like, not that I noticed or- or anything just- I mean, they're nice shoes, you know?"