With a devilish grin, he held his arms open wide in a grandiose gesture towards his captive audience who had all paused eating their bacon and eggs to watch the scene play out.

"Attention everyone! I am here to declare my love  in front of all of Hogwarts! I am not ashamed to say that I am completely head over heels for Clara Anne Potter!"

Clara felt her heart sink to her feet as the words left his lips. The absolute last thing she wanted was for the entire school to think she had anything going on with Sirius Black. She could hear the rumours now...

'Clara and Sirius?'

'Isn't he her brother's best friend?'

'Talk about crossing a line.'

'Doesn't Sirius get around? I didn't think Clara was that kind of girl.'

'It's always the quiet girls.'

'I'll bet you seven Sickles he dumps her before next week. She's such a bore.'

"Get down." Clara seethed at him through gritted teeth.

"I'm not getting down until you tell me you love me too!" Sirius looked down at the girl with a wink, keeping his voice loud enough for the onlookers to hear him.

"I thought I wasn't your type, Sirius." she said in a challenging tone.

"What, brunette?" he chuckled.

She scoffed at the boy, "No, pure-blood."

"I'm always willing to make an exception for you, my love. Who cares that we're probably third cousins twice removed?" he said with a wink, clearly not backing down any time soon.

Her cheeks were burning red and her heart was racing as she quickly realised the entire school was staring at them. The tight feeling in her chest made her want to die on the spot. Maybe she would if she was lucky. At least it would end her suffering. But her anxiety was second only to her fury at the boy. How dare he put her in such an embarrassing situation?

"I will never love you, Sirius Black." she replied in a raised voice, making sure everyone could hear her rejection.

If he was going to embarrass her, she was going to serve it right back. Clara was not one to back down from a fight. Even if the burning shade of crimson on her cheeks somewhat weakened her tough demeanour.

"You don't love me, you say? Is it because you're in love with one Fabian Prewett?" Sirius shouted, gesturing one hand out towards where the twins were seated at the other end of the Gryffindor table while the other clutched dramatically to his chest, "If ginger is your type I'll dye my hair. I'll do anything for you, my sweet little dove."

Clara heard a few snickers from nearby students, but she was too afraid to look at anyone but the boy standing over her plate. She especially didn't want to make eye contact with Fabian. It was all too much, she couldn't take the embarrassment any longer. Hiding her face in her hands to hide the blush on her face that was burning her cheeks, she contemplated for a split second the idea of sweeping an arm against Sirius's feet to make him fall on his arse right into the bowl of porridge.

But instead, she just gathered the newspaper under her arm and stormed out of the Great Hall, quickly moving past all the curious eyes of the other students and the sounds of her brother and the remaining Marauders laughing boisterously as she left. Professor McGonagall however, wasted no time in coming up to Sirius mere moments after Clara's abrupt departure.
Sternly, but with a hint of amusement in her voice that only Sirius could detect, she scolded the eldest Marauder.

"Get down from there, Mr. Black."

Without objection the boy leapt from the table landing right in front of the Deputy Headmistress herself, the wide mischievous grin still prominent on his face. Sirius had been through it all before. He knew a detention or loss of house points was imminent, but boy was it worth it to see the look on Clara's face.

"If you would like to stand on tables, Mr. Black, perhaps you would be interested in helping Mr. Filch polish them after dinner this evening in detention? And I believe 5 points from Gryffindor will suffice." she peered over her glasses at the boy before a smirk threatened to form on her thin lips, "Perhaps I would have taken more away, but Ms. Potter's reaction may be punishment enough for your outburst."

"She'll come around, Minnie. I'll be sure to invite you to the wedding."

This comment earned even more laughter from his friends, but Professor McGonagall merely straightened her stature to return to her usual authoritative state, "Yes well, I'm positive it will be quite the bash. You will have plenty of time to plan the ceremony in detention this evening."