Chapter 4

Kion made his way back to the Pride Lands, thinking about Kovu. He was so nice to him. He gave Kion so many compliments which made him really happy. Kovu is such a good friend! he thought. Then he wondered if Kovu only was a friend. Kion was close friends with the members of his Guard, but his feelings for Kovu were more... intense. Do I like him? Am I falling in love with him? he asked himself.

The day passed really quickly. There wasn't much trouble today for the Lion Guard, so they had some more free time to spend with each other. Kion looked pretty absent as he was lost in his thoughts, but the Guard didn't pay much attention to it. Fuli however noticed Kion was more quiet than usual and wondered if there was something going on.

As the sun began to set, the Guard headed to their homes. Everyone except Fuli. She decided to take a walk with Kion while he was heading to Pride Rock.

"Kion, are you alright?" she asked.

Kion was a bit stunned she figured there was something going on. Yet they were close friends and know each other way too well. He decided to not talk about what's on his mind. "Yes I am, why do you ask?"

"You just seemed a bit absent today. Is there something going on?"

"No, there is none." He kept on walking, hoping Fuli wouldn't continue to talk about this.

"You know you can talk to me, right?" Fuli added.

Kion sighed. Normally he would tell his best friends everything, but this time was different. He felt ashamed liking a lion in the Outlands. She wouldn't understand. Kion thought. "I know. Thanks." he responded.

"Alright then. Good night Kion."

"Good night Fuli."

With that, both felines headed to their homes. Fuli wondered why Kion wouldn't tell her what's going on. Is it really that bad? she asked herself. Whatever is going on, I'm gonna keep an eye on him.

------------

Another night has passed and Kion and his Guard were done doing morning patrol. Another day to meet up with Kovu. Kion thought.

"Alright guys, you can go on a break now." Kion said.

"Hey Kion, wanna play Baobab ball?" Bunga asked.

"No thanks. I'm gonna check the borders again." he responded.

"Aww, but there weren't any trespassers the last time you went! Please?"

"No Bunga, maybe some other time."

"Alright then, but I'm coming with you!"

"No!"

Everyone, including Kion, was shocked at Kion's response. There was a long pause.

"I mean, I don't want to bore you checking the borders. I kinda wanna do it alone."

Everyone was still surprised at Kion's odd behavior.

"Why are you exactly checking the borders? You never did that before." Fuli asked.

"Well, uh... I just figured it's part of my job."

There was another pause. No one understood why he was doing this. It was awkwardly quiet. Kion decided to speak up again.

"I'll meet you at the watering hole, okay?"

"Okay then." Bunga answered.

The Guard headed to the watering hole while Kion was heading to the border of the Outlands.