VI. Stuck in the Middle With You

Start from the beginning

"It's James that's the problem. He's still playing Abbey Road on repeat as if it isn't a six year old album. I can't suffer through 'Octopus' Garden' anymore."

The whole exchange was quite annoying to Clara. Though perhaps it wouldn't have been half as irritating to listen to if she wasn't stuck loading everyone's things on her own. As she stood up straight and blew a stray strand of dark hair away from her face, she glanced over the sea of students looking for her brother or anyone who would actually be willing to help her. Marlene and Sirius were clearly much too focused on their budding new friendship to offer their assistance.

Before she was able to find James, Clara's eyes fell on Remus, who towered over most of the students on the platform. She waved her arm at him frantically and beckoned for him to come over in her direction when he finally made eye contact with her. She watched as he turned to a boy with wild dark hair she recognized to be her younger brother. The taller of the two gestured his head in Clara's direction and the boys soon made their way over, followed closely behind by Peter.

"Yes, Clara?" Remus asked as they approached her.

"These two are useless," she huffed as she gestured to Marlene and Sirius, "Help me out would you?"

"Why don't you use magic? You're seventeen." James complained as he dragged a heavy trunk off of the luggage cart.

"Because you're here now." she smiled at her younger brother before dropping her face back into a scowl, "Plus half of these are yours anyway, you git. I shouldn't be doing this on my own, even with magic."

Ignoring the Potter siblings' quarrel, a soft spoken blonde boy, who typically wasn't the most observant in the group couldn't help but notice the new friendship blooming between the bold and sassy Ravenclaw girl and the Gryffindor mischief-maker.

"When did that happen?" Peter asked quietly.

Clara tore her eyes away from James to see what Peter was talking about and let out an annoyed sigh, "When she visited a few weeks ago. I honestly hope it doesn't last. He annoys me enough as it is, I don't need him trying to steal my best friend as well."

Remus shot Clara a sceptical look, biting back a smirk as he handed the porter the last of the bags from the cart. Though she was much too preoccupied with watching the couple to notice him. It wasn't so much that it was Sirius that was stealing Marlene's attention. Clara already had a hard enough time fitting in at school, her friendship with the blonde felt like a security blanket of sorts. Surely she couldn't be faulted for feeling somewhat possessive.

That's not to say that Sirius, of all people, being the one whose charm and similar interests to the witch was potentially pulling her away from Clara wasn't a bad thing. That fact was simply the cherry on top of a rubbish cake.

"James, let's go say goodbye to mum and dad." Clara suggested suddenly, using it as an excuse to get away from the source of her growing insecurity.

"Hmm? Oh, yeah sure." James responded, not fully aware of what his sister had said.

Clara's eyes followed his gaze to see Lily Evans making her way towards the group, smiling brightly and waving to Clara as their eyes met, which she returned happily. But the redhead's expression fell once she glanced over to James.

"How do you not get discouraged?" Clara asked James as they made their way to their mum and dad who had just finished catching up with Remus' parents.

"Because I know she'll fall for me eventually." he replied confidently with a shrug.

She couldn't understand how he could be so self-assured when it came to Lily, but who was she to destroy his dreams? Although, James giving up on Lily would definitely help her win the bet she had made with Remus in her fifth year. Two years ago, the tallest Marauder told her he was certain the two would get together by the end of their seventh year. Clara, however, was adamant it would simply never happen. They made a 15 Sickle bet that she was still completely sure she would win.