Chapter Six

Sorry its been quite a while for an upload, the beginning of year 11 has drained every second out of my free time. grr. anyway, its just a short chapter. im not sure if its finished yet you'll just have to wait and see :)

Chapter Six

The look on Nathaniel's face was priceless. Standing there all shocked in the door way, not really wanting to accept what just happened. Whether he was jealous or disappointed that things worked out well, I knew he didn't like me that much after all. It really showed how they had grown up to know they were superior over demons, when in fact, the angels could have been demons and the demons, angels. Depending on which ever perspective you looked at it.

It made me smile. I was no longer the bad guy in this private war. I was an equal.

Tonight; Gabriel, Theodore and the Elders were going hold the ritual of the Guardians usually given to the new comers in the community. It was a bit unsettling that they would try and reach out to the Angels for my acceptance knowing there was almost no hope if they were all like my buddy, Nathaniel. I began to fear my life.

I was good as dead anyway if Gabriel hadn't taken me in. There was always a very small chance for me now that I thought about it.

And war... how was I supposed to know what I was walking into, we might be outnumbered by millions. Or I could be their bait, disposable and it had been meant for me to be sacrificed in this battle.

I was forced to follow Nathaniel out of the room, into the hallway and onto the pavement of the city square to commence the usual daily routines Nathaniel would carry out. It was just after four in the afternoon which meant school was over for today so we walked back to his house in silence.  I wanted to break it, but I couldn't.

Nathaniel's house was within the first circle of the spiral. It was a simple two story house with a marble gargoyle on the roof. Beneath it however, was a shell like object with a blue ball similar to the seraphims; hovering just above. I hadn't seen it on any other houses but just as I was about to speak, he waved me away.

"Your mum..."

"Alexei" Came a squeak I think was meant to be a shout of relief. I turned my head hopelessly over my shoulder.

The fight had slipped my mind. With my mother's face clear in my mind, it brought on a wave of foreign untold truths that I may never comprehend. The pain of living a lie where I took everything for granted and had it all ripped out like a rug beneath me. Her eyes were still red but her facial features were very composed.

"I know you want to be alone to figure this out. I really do get that, but I can't stay away, demon or non-demon you are my baby and I love you,"

"Mum, we'll sort this out later. Just let me sort out one thing at a time before you throw more at me."

The sun began to set over the mountains that bordered the city. It set earlier here than from my old town. Parts of the street became engulfed by shadows. I took one exasperated look at my mother and for the first time realized how grungy and tired I felt I had enough for the day so I decided I'd turn in. Sometime among our encounter, Nathaniel had slipped off, embracing the opportunity of a distraction.   

Her lips began to quiver, but I turned around before the words could form.

"Not now." It came as a sigh. I walked back to the academy, hopefully alone.

Watching dusk from the slightly raised streets of the city helped me clear my head. Helped me to ponder on the thoughts of my future here and how it might not be so negative if I gave it a chance - if they gave me a chance.

I reached the academy with ease and I began to search my memories for that room on the map so I wouldn't have to mess around and ask for directions. I was over everything at that moment. People had become my worst enemy, no matter what species they were. If going back to my room was anything like this morning, then so help me...

I was on the second floor when I actually took note of the footsteps I had heard following me. I couldn't believe it took so long for me to figure my mum was still following me.

I groan, "Mum..."

She says nothing, maybe lost in the awkwardness.

"You can't follow me back here, I'm 'dangerous'" I say to her. Her eyes squint in disbelief.

"Alexei, I have lived in the same house as you for fifteen years and you never came anywhere near to harming me."

"What do you not get from 'leave me alone' then? Stop acting like an annoying puppy that has to follow their master everywhere and go away!" I shout. I didn't even think the words before I said them but I can't feel sorrow at the moment.

Amazingly I find my door and push through it, slamming it shut and locking it to keep out intruders.

The room has changed since I was last in here. The walls have been draped with emerald green curtain like material. The surgical table has been swapped with a deep red wooden bed with matching green blankets. Of to the side is a white door that I hope is a bathroom. My desire for a shower is growing.

I walked over and pulled the door handle. It is a bathroom. I smile to myself and walk in taking in the odour of not showering for a day or more. Everything I needed was there so I scrubbed my hair, a weird feeling overcame me from not seeing the amount of blood pooling at my feet. As usual I turn the hot water up full ball and embrace the heat penetrating and calming my body. Gradually, my heart slows to a steady thump and I feel at peace. Before I shut the shower off, I stare into the eye on the back of my palm. It feels odd, tingling in a way that doesn't feel natural. Like it's judging and disapproving of my decisions.