chapter 12: broken hearts

Start from the beginning

Hundreds of people crying for help. Hundreds of people pretending they don't hear a thing. I'm tired of this world. I'd be lying if I said that dark thoughts didn't come by my head.

But in this cruel world, you get to know people you want to live for and maybe eventually with them by your side, you get to learn to love living again. I hope I would even if it's not today.

Seungyeon eonni: how's it going? 👁️👄👁️

Seunghee eonni: tell us if u need back up. i'll be done with my meeting in 15 mins

Seungyeon eonni: shut up she'll be alright. don't jinx it!!

Tears continue to pour as I read Seungyeon and Seunghee's messages pouring in.

My Precious Mom: Yeeun-ah, remember to be polite and just be yourself. I'm so proud of you, so I'm sure Joonie's parents will like you. Don't be nervous! That's not like you.

I'm about to open Joon's text messages when Sungjae knocks on the window of his own car. He motions for me to come out with a smile on his face.

I wipe my tears away and when I step out of the car and feel the wind on my skin, I feel just a little better but I couldn't look at him in the eyes because I didn't want anyone to see me like this.

“Let's go to the shore. I also bought some food. I'm hungry. Come on.” He says, running before me.

I watch him with envy. I wish I was still that carefree.

I take off my shoes and let my bare feet sink in the white sand. Sungjae finds a picnic table nearby and lays out the food there.

At first, I just sit there as he starts eating even though I thanked him when he served food in front of me. I couldn't put anything in my stomach.

“Yeeun-ah, please eat. Don't be sad with an empty stomach.” He says and it made me smile a little.

Sungjae smiles softly.

So, I try to eat and sometimes you just don't realize how hungry you are until you're stuffing your mouth with food.

* * *

It's sunset and Sungjae and I are walking along the shore, leaving foot prints on the sand. I let the water run over my feet.

“Thanks for bringing me here.” I tell him. “Without explanations.” I add.

“It's not even an hour of drive by car, so I come here when I want to empty my head. It's the nearest beach, after all. And ocean, oh, it has that magic that just makes people feel better.”

I smile. “You know, I'm only comfortable with two guys in my life. My younger brother, Rieun, and my... boyfriend, Joon.” I say. Joon's name suddenly causes some sort of prickly feeling in my chest. “And you. Thank you, oppa, for being the way that you are.”

I could feel Sungjae's eyes on me for a while and then he chuckles, walking with his hands on his back. “You're really not fond of men.” He says.

“You know, if I ever have children someday, I wish I would have daughters instead.” I tell him.

“Isn't that every girl's dream?”