THAT WANKER LUCAS

Depuis le début

"What about your father? Would he do this?"

"My father is too busy waging war against the almighty Yahweh, and his legion of angels, to care about a lone human schoolgirl. He views humans as no more than playthings."

"Sorry to interrupt your little meeting of the minds here, but my grandma has asked that we not leave your side," Eden interrupts us. Knowing damn well she's not sorry. "I was thinking we could make it a co-ed sleepover."

There's mischief in Eden's eyes, and I am all here for it.

"Do I get an invite?" Lucas asks, raking his eyes over us both. "You know... for saving your life and all."

"Maybe next time, devil boy. This is a 'Spawn of Satan free' sleepover," Eden brushes him off with a verbal middle finger.

Rather than argue, Lucas opts not to cause a scene, and heads back to his room. Which I'm grateful for because I have enough to deal with. Namely, a broken mating bond and alleged fiancé. But more importantly, I need Ethan to show me how to use the powers I've siphoned from him.

"Thank God," Eden sighs, draping herself across the foot of my bed after Sybil exits my room. "I didn't think she would ever leave. I mean, I love my grandma, but that woman is a serious buzzkill."

"Where were you?" I asked. Not meaning to sound accusatory at all. Except... I failed. "Your room is across the hall from mine, and the only other room on this floor. How could you not hear me?"

"I wasn't in my room," Eden replies. "I had a date."

Yeah... I've heard that story before.

"I'm sorry," Ethan apologizes. "I should've walked you to your room. I never should've let you walk back alone. I just..."

"You were worried about what your fiancé, Zara Graham, might think," I throw that information in his face before I can stop myself. Jealousy lacing my tone even though I tried not to let it show.

Ethan blinks once... twice... three times before tilting his head to the side to stare at me with confusion. Then his expression turns angry, and he curses beneath his breath. Something about 'that wanker' Lucas.

"It's true, isn't it? You're engaged."

Ethan's throat bobs but his unreadable expression never changes. Not even when he nods to confirm my worst fears.

"But it's not what you think," he sighs.

"Meaning what?" I asked, folding my arms across my chest.

Surprise etches across his face, but it's quickly followed by more anger.

"You don't get to question me, Ali. Not after what you did. Not after you..."

He stops short of saying what it is, like I knew he would. And I can't tell if it's because it's too painful or he's just too angry with me.

"Say it," I challenge him. But rather than take the bait, his anger evaporates. He's about to walk away from me, but I step into his path. "I asked Lucas to break our mating bond. And I gave him the means to do it. I-"

"We both did," he interrupts. Dropping a bombshell on me. "In order to break the bond, he needed my blood to do it, and I knew it was what you wanted, so I gave it to him."

"Then you got engaged to Zara."

Ethan stares incredulously at me. "Is that what you think I did? Because let me be the first to tell you, you're wrong. I spent the next year after you left me for that wanker Lucas trying to put the pieces of me that you broke back together. Because I was utterly, irrevocably, and madly in love with you, Ali. Hell... I still am if I'm being honest. But you did the worst possible thing you could do to me, and I don't even know why. Except, one day you decided I wasn't enough for you."

Ethan's outburst shocks the syndicate as much as it shocks me. And I wonder how long he's been holding this in. These painful, raw emotions that expose so much of himself, and his vulnerabilities.

"I don't know what to say," I sigh. Trying not to feel attacked. "And I wish I knew why I did what I did so I can give you that closure, but I don't. Nothing about what I've done since leaving home makes any sense. Starting with leaving you. Because as far as I can tell, you meant everything to me. I can feel it in my memories... I just don't know what changed, or why."

Ethan's expression softens, and his anger evaporates in an instant. Perhaps he realizes arguing will get us nowhere. Or maybe he realizes I'm just as confused about all this as he is.

"I'll do it," he tells me. "I'll go with you to the address Lucas gave you."

I can't help the smile that forms on my face knowing he has my back. This guy everything inside me would live and die for. Even though I know it's far from meaning we're good. But he's extending an olive branch, and that's all I can ask for.

"Tell me about your engagement to Zara," I ask.

Why?

I don't know.

Except, my connection to him is bone deep. And I need to know for my own sanity if he's moved on to someone else.

"He had no choice," Eden speaks for him when his tongue fails him. "Our parents arranged for him to marry the daughter of another member of the Vampiric Order."

"Is that what you want?" I ask him.

"You know what I want," his eyes delve deeply into mine. "Bond or no bond... it will always be you."