Chapter 1 (part 2 1988)

As all the screams echoed throughout the empty hallways, Zelena was trying to distract her younger sister from the noises. Regina was shaking violently with fear, but Zelena Was trying her best to ignore the blood curdling screams and piecing yells traveling towards their room. Then all of a sudden, Regina got up off the floor, leaving her sketch pad and ran towards the bathroom. Zelena knew her sister always carried her sketch pad everywhere she went, it was one of the only ways she could express herself. So she knew instantly something was wrong, she grabbed the pad and strolled towards the bathroom.
"Gina?" She asked knocking the bathroom door, when she opened the door she saw Regina curled up on the floor in tears, "Regina whats wrong?"
"I saw mommy and daddy, th-there was blood everywhere Ze!" She cried, Zelena realised the corridor looked upon the downstairs area. So she got up and looked over the banister to see pools of blood, her mother lying in one on the bed, and her father beside her holding her hand crying. The scene instantly broke her heart.

"Okay Cora, now!" Milah shouted, Cora screamed again as she pushed, clenching her husband's hand so tightly, there wasn't any blood going or leaving his fingertips. "Bet your glad i took that medical course instead of more physical activities now eh Gold." She joked, Gold rolled his eyes and looked up, there leaning on the banister, was the two little girls watching their mother cry in agony, sparkling tears dripping onto their cheeks.
"Guys, we have a small audience." He whispered to Cora and Henry. Henry looked up to see his two daughters in tears, comforting each other. This was a scene no child had to see, especially at their young age.
"Gold, can you-" Henry asked gesturing towards the girls. Gold nodded and walked up the stairs,
"Hey you two, what are you doing out so late?" Gold asked trying to change the subject,
"Is mommy going to be okay Rumple?" Regina asked, Zelena inhaled through clenched teeth, everyone knew not to refer Mr Gold as his first name, but when you were a child, he gave an exception.
"Well I won't lie to you two, she is pretty badly hurt, and the baby is coming." Gold admitted, Zelena could tell that wasn't all the story, but held her tongue for Regina's sake.
"But that doesn't answer my question! Is she going to be okay?!" The 8 year old demanded,
"Regina, lets go to bed. You left your book on the floor." Zelena interrupted, Regina gasped remembering her precious book and ran towards the bedroom. "She isn't going to make it is she?" Zelena asked still watching people try everything to help her mother,
"There's a very low chance Zelena, but if she does, she won't be able to work anymore thats for sure! She might never recover from losing so much blood from her wounds, but we should still have hope for her hm?" Gold said wrapping his arm around Zelena who was still entranced by the activity downstairs.
"Rumple?" They both turned to see Regina standing there, clutching to pad close to her chest, trying to hold back the tears, "I'm sorry for shouting at you, I'm just really scared!", then she burst out crying and ran towards him, dropping the sketch pad. Gold lifted her in the air and cuddled her close, Zelena picked up the book and skimmed through her drawings, she was surprisingly good at drawing for an 8 years old, definitely taking after their mother who wanted to be an artist before she met Gold. She ran her fingers over a drawing of a bird in a leafless tree, watching 4 birds flying above. The bird seemed to be protecting a small object, which turned out to be a chick. Zelena knew what the drawing represented, the 4 birds flying above were her parents, Milah and Gold, the two smaller birds were her and Regina, she was the larger bird protecting the smaller one. As another loud cry was heard, a smaller cry filled the area.
"ITS A BOY!" Milah shouted.
Cora tried to catch her breath, her baby was born. A boy! She smiled, tears in her eyes,
"Look, at our little boy Cora! Isn't he adorable." Henry whispered as Milah passed him the newborn. Cora watched as the baby held his father's finger tightly, bringing tears of joy to all in the room.
"MOMMY!" Regina screamed, jumping out of Gold's arms and speeding down the stairs, shortly followed by Zelena and Gold.
"How are you feeling?" Gold asked sitting beside Cora, she nodded smiling which was a good sign.
"A boy" she whispered, closing her eyes.
"Cora, stay awake love. C'mon, do you want to hold him?" Henry asked, Cora nodded slightly. He sat Cora on his lap, their son in her arms, her head in the crook of his neck.
"Well, how about a name?" Cora asked smoothing the baby's hand,
"No ideas?" Gold chuckled, she shook her head,
"I thought it was another girl to be honest." Everyone laughed quietly. "Any ideas girls?" She asked her two daughters, Regina skipped over to her parents and kissed the baby's head. Zelena just stood there, arms crossed over her chest, head hanging down and hair covering her face. "Zelena?" Cora asked sitting up by herself, "what's wrong sweetie?",
"Your going to be okay, aren't you?" The girl asked, sniffing back tears that dripped from her cheeks. Cora looked at Milah,
"Am i?" She asked worriedly,
"Well I can't really tell at the moment, but if you do make it through the night. I'm sure you'll be fine." Milah smiled half heartedly,
"But?" Cora continued,
"You'll have to resign"
"Wait WHAT!?" Cora shouted, waking up the child who had just fallen asleep in her arms. Cries once again echoed throughout the building, people were just glad it wasn't Cora in pain anymore. But tears did form in her eyes as she settled back in Henry's arms, comforting the new baby.
"It's for the best dearie" Gold admitted sadly, "Just get some rest and we'll see how you are in the morning." Cora nodded,
"So still no ideas on names?" Cora questioned,
"How about William?" Henry suggested,
"Hmm fancy, i like it!" Cora joked. "Ok you two, who wants to hold little Will here first?" Regina jumped up and down begging to hold him first, Zelena laughed and agreed. And with some help, Regina held her little brother for the first time in her arms, sitting on Zelena's lap so she could help steady her. Everyone smiled at the trio, one of few moments where they all living in harmony with each other.
"Ze, your turn?" Regina asked, Zelena nodded, gently lifting Regina off her lap. Regina passed her little brother to her older sister who took him gently into her arms.
"Cora, can i stitch your arms now?" Milah asked, Cora nodded getting up off Henry's lap and back onto the bed.
"Gold, can i speak with you for a sec?" Henry asked, Gold nodded and they went into his bedroom or office. "I know this decision was made for Cora's well being, but you know how she's going to react when it sinks in don't you." Gold sighed and nodded,
"Look, me and you have known each other since we were kids, Cora, when we reached high school, i think of you two as family, and family is EVERYTHING to me!" Gold said bluntly, "You two are the best of the few agents i have here, this decision was hard for me! Cora isn't one to settle down, so this is definitely going to be hardest on her."
"But resignation? Why doesn't she only be allowed on small missions-" Henry started,
"If she improves, i may consider her to maybe help around. But in her condition, the baby is definitely going to be enough." Gold added quickly, then there was a silence.
"I guess this is goodnight then!" Henry announced breaking the silence, Gold nodded as Henry exited. He sighed and face planted the desk, he hated to be the one making tough choices like this. Cora's entire life revolved around her work, so this change may not be best at mind for her.
As Henry closed Gold's door, he saw Milah finishing up stitching Cora's arm.
"Thanks Mil." Cora smiled,
"Don't mention it, sorry about this whole resignation thing-" Milah started before hugging Cora tightly,
"Well as long as i can still help around a bit sometimes, i can live with it!" Cora chuckled,
"Alright, bed time for my two little princesses, and now a little prince." Henry said, Zelena stood up, still holding onto her younger brother whilst Regina ran towards her father and he swirled her around in the air. As he gently placed her on the ground, he lifted his wife in the air, she giggled as he did so. "And my queen must also have her beauty sleep, not that she needs it." He said placing a kiss on Cora's nose.
"EWWW DADDY!" Regina giggled, she never was one for affection. Milah smiled at the couple, but hiding behind his bedroom door, Gold was watching, jealous of his best friends' relationship, one he wished he could have with Cora at one point. But what was done was done. He watched Henry carry Cora up the stairs to their room, and the two girls soon followed, Zelena still cradling little Will. After everyone but Milah was upstairs asleep or falling asleep, he collapsed on his bed, wishing one day he would be lucky to find a love like Henry and Cora have.
(Next chapter contains language)