Accidentally in Love

There was a thump as Yukinoshita dropped the schoolbag she was carrying on her shoulder to the ground. Her hands were clasped to her mouth in shock. Miura and Hayama turned our way, eyes wide open. They were shocked, too. It had been a central tenet in my plan that no one, not even Miura, was to know what would happen, and this was the result. Miura looked at me, then to Yukinoshita, then to Hayama, then back to me again, the reality of it all finally sinking in. This was what I had used her for. This had been my plan all along.

"Haya...ma..."

"No, wait, Yukinoshita, this—this wasn't—I didn't..."

"I... trusted you..."

Yukinoshita turned around. There were tears starting to fill in her eyes.

"Don't... talk to me... again..."

"Wait, wait! I can explain! This is—it's just a misunderstanding!"

"I SAID DON'T TALK TO ME AGAIN!"

Yukinoshita ran off and pushed her way through the crowd behind us with Hayama soon following suit. We watched as Hayama made his way through the crowd, desperately yelling after her with all his strength until their figures had completely disappeared from view. And then they were gone. The fireworks had finished, which marked the end of the festival for good, and the crowds were slowly beginning to disperse. Miura and I remained behind the corner of the school building by ourselves. I didn't feel anything at the time. I could only smile, and laugh.

"Haha... hahaha... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"

I couldn't stop laughing. Everything was just too perfect. My plan was executed flawlessly, and the result was beyond any of my expectations. It couldn't have gone any better that night.

"Hikio, this... was your plan...?"

"That's right! Amazing, isn't it?! It went better than I ever could've imagined!"

Miura didn't look sad. She didn't look angry. She didn't seem upset that I'd just made her ruin her best friend's relationship, and possibly made him want to never talk to her again. She only had an empty look on her face, as if she'd just given up.

"And you know the best part? I don't even feel any guilt. This whole time I could only think that Yukinoshita was getting exactly what she deserved."

"H-Hikki...?"

"Huh?"

I heard a voice call out to me from behind. I turned around to see Yuigahama standing behind me, her face frozen in a look of pure terror as if my words were too horrible to process in her mind.

"Hikki, you... planned this...?"

"Yuigahama? What are you doing here? I thought I told you to stay in the clubroom."

"How could anyone sit there and pretend like nothing was happening?! I was so worried about you two! And then I come here to hear you say that you... you planned this?! I mean, they were... dating... right? And you planned for Yukinon to see Hayato cheating on her like that...?!"

"Maybe I did. What of it?"

"Hikki, you're... a monster...!"

"I never said I wasn't."

"Why... why would you do something so cruel...?"

"Because she deserved it."

"Because she deserved it?! What did she even do?!"

"Does that matter?"

"What?! Of course it matters! You can't just make Yukinon cry like that for no reason!"