Spencer assesses him. "Why are you so surprised? Did you not think I could do it?"

"I knew you could do it," Pietro disagreed. "I thought you might contact HYDRA instead-"

Spencer's face heats up. "And you still went to sleep," she notes. "Real smart."

Pietro rolls his eyes. "I had some faith," he tells her, but Spencer stares him down, saying nothing. "Can you blame me? You are always getting us in trouble."

Spencer has half a mind to argue with him, but she doesn't have the energy. The coding took a lot out of her, and now, nothing sounded better than sleep.

"They won't respond instantly," she tells Pietro, who's staring at the computer intently. His blue eyes flicker up to hers, and her heart stutters for a second before she catches herself.

"The message is encrypted," she explains. "It'll take a while."

Pietro nods once, which Spencer debate is a nod or a sign he's tired, too.

"We should sleep," Spencer says, finally. Pietros eyes are back on her with the same intensity that makes her want to run. "It's no use staying up."

"You go," he tells her, nodding his head in the direction of the bedroom. "It's okay, I'll sleep here."

Spencer hesitates. That's not what she wanted, and she's 90% it's not what she insinuated, either.

"You should sleep," she presses more seriously. "You won't sleep well out here."

Pietro studies her. A stupid, sleepy grin breaks out on his lips. "You know, you could just ask," he tells her with a small shrug. "Like this, dragă - Pietro, darling," he draws out, his hand on his chest as he leans back in his seat. "Please, come to bed, make sure I'm all- "

Pietro is abruptly cut off when a mug is thrown at his face. He catches it easily.

Spencer is already standing up, her face red and her lips pursed. Leo jumps up to the table, hissing at Pietro.

"You have a big mouth," Spencer tells him, shoving past him. 

Pietro shrugs. "You used to like my mouth," he tells her, loudly, turning to watch her walk down the hallway. "For kissing and for-"

A book goes flying at Pietro's skull. He catches it again but quiets, anyway, grinning to himself. He places it down on the table before slipping into the bedroom, too.

✯✯✯

FIVE HOURS LATER, SPENCER WAKES UP TO ARGUING.

well, is it an argument if it's one-sided? Spencer's not sure, but she wakes to the sound of Pietro shouting.

"Don't bite me!" he exclaims, standing at the side of the bed. His eyes are narrowed down on the small little gray-blue at Spencer's shoulders. "Little devil - we should have left you outside!"

Spencer blinks between Leo and Pietro - and her brain struggles to comprehend.

Sitting up in bed, Spencer rubs at her eyes. She feels a body of fur rubbing at her side, and she blinks down.

Leo gives her arm a little lick. Spencer smiles.

"Good morning," Pietro says, and his tone gives off that he's agitated. "I've been trying to wake you up for ten minutes," he tacks on, glaring at Leo with his arms over his chest. "This animal wouldn't let me."