37. The truth, music box and cotton candy

Start from the beginning

And there she was being pushed against the wall with no escape. Lisa knew that moment would come, her sister-in-law was cunning for many things and since Chaeyoung reappeared in her life things have not been exactly subtle. It is obvious that Olivia noticed the despair in her eyes when she finished speaking, she could barely hide her trembling hand while holding the TV remote control.

OK…Tell the truth to her fiance’s sister or not?

Risk losing everything or making up a faint and postpone the conversation?

Lisa sighed, gathering all the courage that didn’t exist inside her and turned off the TV, letting the silence of the apartment fill the tension between them. While she did not want to lose her fiancé and her friend, part of herself insisted that Olivia was her friend before anything and that if anyone deserved to know the whole truth, it was her sister-in-law. But regardless of their friendship, Logan and Olivia were siblings and if Olivia didn’t understand her, something that even she couldn’t manage after accepting Chaeyoung’s crazy proposal, her life could be turned upside down.

“Chaeyoung is…” She searched for an adjective that fit what they were now. Of course, she didn’t, and Olivia’s curious eyes didn’t help her think about anything. “Chaeyoung is my ex girlfriend.“ As usual, Olivia’s reaction was slow to come. She blinked frantically and continued with a neutral expression as if Lisa hadn’t just revealed that Chaeyoung was her ex-girlfriend. “Please don’t freak out now! You need to understand that it is not easy …"

"You made me think that my gaydar was broken all this time?" Olivia cut her off and received a confused look from Lisa. “I always wondered how you could not be a lesbian with all that hunk of badgirl from college, and now you’re telling me that I was right all along?"

Lisa kept her mouth open a few inches without believing what her sister-in-law was giving priority to at that moment.

"Are you listening?“ The Thai questioned still shocked and watched Olivia get up from the couch. Her lost eyes and hands on her hips betrayed the woman’s disbelief in something as futile as Lisa’s sexuality. “I’m saying that Park Chaeyoung is my ex girlfriend who came back to my life and you are worried about my sexuality, Olivia?"

The Latina looked at the Thai and seemed to return to the reality that she was being inconvenient.

“Okay, you’re right, sorry." She shook her head and returned to sit next to Lisa. Now the thick eyebrows were drawn together as something came to mind. “Did you betray my brother?"

“No!" Lisa screamed and covered her mouth with regret shortly thereafter, her act could wake up Ethan. “Of course I didn’t cheat on Logan, are you crazy?“ inside the Thai hated herself for lying. Yes, she cheated on Logan and it was the best mistake she could have made in her life. But, like their love, that moment would remain a secret locked under lock and key. “It’s just been complicated to have her in my life now, after all this time."

Olivia shook her head, understanding her sister-in-law’s words, and leaned back against the sofa to settle.

“You can start, darling.“ She demanded referring to the whole story.

Well, it’s like they say, if it’s in the rain, it’s to get wet.

Lisa took a deep breath and prepared to go back to the past, when love was pure and life was easier even though they didn’t see it. When each day with Chaeyoung was valuable and still with a deadline finish.

“I met Chaeyoung on the internship in Juilliard." She started to recall, but her eyes fell to the upholstery of the sofa. “I think I fell in love the moment I saw her, I don’t know. I don’t remember exactly how it was, I just remember opening my eyes and seeing myself hopelessly in love with her. Chaeyoung used to be different than she is today. She used to be shy and dreamy, ties were Chaeyoung’s mark and that’s how I identified her, what marked us, you know? Her red bow.“ She smiled automatically and stopped herself shortly thereafter. Olivia barely blinked as she followed the story. “Jennie introduced us, and shortly afterwards we were like best friends. Chaeyoung has always been my best friend.“ She sighed. “We started dating and every day beside her was perfect. Do you know the people who say that happily ever after does not exist?“ Olivia nodded. “Nonsense, it exists for as long as it lasts. We listened to Johnny Cash, danced to Billie Holiday, made love in an abandoned house, and broke into a prom. Chaeyoung used to be my first and last thought of the day and yet she invaded my deepest dreams." Olivia arched an eyebrow at her sister-in-law’s words. Lisa was lost in her thoughts and back in the past. “When Chaeyoung’s father became ill, I saw my star slowly fade. That Chaeyoung who dreamed of a future on stage was no more exist and I couldn’t let that happen. When my father found out, he threatened me. He said he would pay for Chaeyoung’s father’s treatments if I left her."