Chapter 19

Two wagons sat in a clearing, one with a makeshift tent top and the other with a tarp over barrels of wine. In the center a fire burned. Minimer sat on a stump beside it. A ledger book rested on his lap as he scratched away at it. A large chicken roasted over the fire, the scent making Lorana's mouth water. Keelan cranked the spit, a dour look on his face. Another servant appeared from behind the wagons, a bottle of wine and a glass in one hand. He made a show out of pouring it for Minimer, looking at him the same way Roisin looked at her beau despite being at least twenty years younger than the merchant.

"Why is he camping?" Roan asked.

"He claims to love camping, but that's easy for him to say when he does none of the work of it," Tadhg answered too low for Minimer to hear.

"He couldn't hunt to save his life. Or chop wood," the other guard behind Lorana added. "Too pampered." Lorana looked closer at Minimer, noticing how overdressed he looked for camping. His heeled shoes wouldn't do well tromping through the forest and his large feathered hat would make a great target for tree branches to knock off or other hunters. Not to mention everything that could snag on the delicate lace climbing the sides of his leggings and sleeves. No, camping didn't suit him at all.

The leading guard cleared his throat as they neared. Minimer sipped at his wine, his gaze roving over Asha first then Roan and Lorana.

"Found out where the purification happens and saved these two." Asha jerked a thumb at them.

"Surprise guests. Perfect." The last word came out as a purr. "Get the cups and wine," he ordered the servant. "And see to the horses. I believe we have a priestess in our midst. Solen temple, wasn't it?"

"Y-yes," Lorana said. Roan helped her off the horse. She held on to him to stay on her feet.

The servant hesitated, but as soon as Minimer raised a brow at him he stepped into action.

"Have a seat," Tadhg offered as he rolled another low stump toward the fire. He gestured for her to have the spot. She took the seat, glad to be off the cool ground. Beside her Asha sat down on his cloak.

"I expected Tadhg, not everyone. What are you doing out here? Shouldn't you be long gone with your wine?" Asha sprawled, his attention on the roasting chicken.

"I thought I was going to miss you. I finished my trading with Lord Fydah and got his latest batch of his wine. I need to leave in the morning to avoid being late to the festival, but I'm sure my wagons will get me there on time." He cast a loving eye toward the wagons. Lorana spotted the horses tied at the edge of the clearing, but there didn't seem to be enough of them to pull the wagons.

"You came out here for wine?" she asked. "I thought there was nothing out here but small farms." Without the jostling of riding on horseback, her head calmed. The fire felt divine. She hadn't realized how cold she'd gotten. She fantasized about lying right down next to the fire and going to sleep.

"The shadowlands may have destroyed most of the vineyards, but those left still make the best wine around. Unfortunately the poor roads and lack of security make it hard for them to bring their wine to market, which is where I come in." He held a hand to his chest as if his position were a great honor.

Roan lowered himself down on the other side of Lorana. Tamlin hovered behind them. "How are you feeling?" He asked Lorana.

"Better now that I'm on solid ground, but don't expect me to move much until morning." She held up her wounded hand. "The bleeding and spasms stopped long ago, but that magic felt like it burned through my insides. I didn't know magic could do that."

Roan didn't answer. His fingers twitched against his thigh. His gaze jerked about the clearing, unable to land anywhere for long. He looked ready to run.