2: The Second Clue

Penny

A pebble with a spiral on it. That was the clue.

The symbol reminded me of something I had seen before, but right now, with the pressure of the mission, there was no time to think.

I held out the pebble so Rod could take it. As soon as he took it, everything turned black.

There. Our task was done. We found the clue. Time to be teleported back to headquarters.
~~~

Betty

"I'm hungry," Baddy whispered. He didn't dare reveal his impatience in front of the inspectors.

"I know," I whispered back. "But we can't have lunch until Rod and Penny are back,"

Unfortunately the inspectors heard us. The inspector who usually spoke, turned his helmeted head towards our direction, alerting us.

"Baddy, you may go to the lemon shack, but Betty has to stay until Penny comes back." he declared in his deep inspector voice.

My ears perked up. Me? What did I do?

All heads turned to me.

"Okay..." Baddy looked at me, but he was too hungry to care. "Come on, bad wings," he gestured for Chomps and Rocco to follow him out of the room.

"I told you, we're not a team," muttered Chomps, following Baddy out of the room.

Rocco gave us a final glance before following behind them.

The door shut behind them, and I turned back to the inspectors and waited nervously with Swift and Brody.

The room was quiet, except for the clicking and turning sounds of the controls every now and then.

The inspector who had spoken was standing behind a stand that held a screen which we couldn't see. The other inspector, who was shorter than the first one, kept adjusting with the controls.

The inspectors wore helmets that covered their heads completely. We couldn't see their faces and they looked really creepy, like a mysterious kidnapper, or a "wanted" robber, or something. They wore black, 1900s looking coats that hung inches above their ankles, and they had all sorts of badges over their shoulders and chests.

Speedy and Bea, the Top Wing instructors, had left headquarters till the mission was done. The mission was kind of like a training thing, though I had no idea why they asked me, Baddy, Chomps, and Rocco to join, since we were not even cadets.

On the other side of the room were six teleporters, each one big enough for a person to enter. They were connected to each other, and mostly resembled an elevator. And although they didn't go up and down, they could be retracted into the wall to make it look like they weren't there.

The inspector walked over to the teleporters. After some more button clicking from the shorter inspector, followed by a few moments of silence, Penny finally came. There was a glitch effect in one of the teleporters as Penny appeared inside.

Penny walked out of the teleporter. "Hey cadets."

We greeted her back. The inspectors walked forward.

Swift frowned. "Where's Rod?"

"He won't be coming," replied the taller inspector. He was the only one who spoke. The other one was always silent.

"Why?" Penny asked.

"You'll meet Rod after the mission."

"Where is he?"