Chapter 1 - Meetings

Start from the beginning

I might not be your brightest student, but Grandma has taught me since I was a little kid about tradition. I'm fluent in both English and Japanese and I can write the latter perfectly. Grandma even taught me calligraphy and I'm always studying my kanji.

I knock at Otousan's door to make my presence noticed and then I hear a feminine voice telling me come in. I open the door to find him and Soledad, the nurse we have hired, helping him eat his dinner.

"Good evening, Otousan,"I greet him with a slight bow. "Hola, Sol,"I tell her and she replies with a bright smile.

Soledad is a nurse we hired since Otousan was allowed to come home to rest. She is Chilean and I think she's made of love and hugs. At first it was weird because besides my Mum, no one here is that affectionate, but Sol is very joyful and always smiles, she's very comforting and has a reassuring aura about her. She has a bit of an accent but besides that, her English is as good as mine. She came to study once she finished her schooling in Chile and has been here since then. What I love the most about Sol and the reason why I don't want her to ever leave is because of the desserts she makes. She's also teaching me a bit of Spanish, which is also great.

"How are you doing, Otousan?"I ask walking up to his bed and kneeling at his other side.

"Getting tired of being here. I hate staying in bed,"he replies grumpily and Sol frowns at him but he doesn't seem fazed. I smile at them both. "Please, tell me something that will get my mind out of these four walls."

Father has always been doing things. Working, studying, making the world better; so now being in bed, resting, is killing him worse than the stroke he had.

"Well I do have,"I reply and his eyes light up. I chuckle before I proceed. "The meetings are going great. We have all the investors ready and the main team signed and paid. Director and screenplay writers have been signed. They are already working on the script and it should be ready in the following days. The casting will also take place at the end of the week and we of course have the team in charge already. Special effects, sound effects, makeup and dressing, catering, everything is ready. Everyone signed and of course, we've hired our best contacts. Everything is going smoothly, Otousan. We should start shooting by the end of the month."

He sighs pleasantly and I'm sure he wishes he could be in the meetings, making sure everything is in check.

"What about the location? Have you decided and secured the place?"

"Almost. We are still discussing that but we have contacted some places. The most likely is Glencoe, in Scotland,"I say but I am not so sure about it and Father can see that because he furrows his brow.

"What's wrong, Ann?"he asks and I sigh.

"Glencoe is Teru's advice but I don't know. I haven't had time to read the book so I don't really know what the landscape feels like in the story. I know it's a very natural book, with a high environmental awareness attitude so I think this is key. I haven't talked to the author yet, and I think that's fundamental before finally deciding the location for the film."

Otousan smiles and then reaches for my hand. When I see his on top of mine I notice he's lost weight because his hands used to be very meaty and big and heavy, now they are bony and light.

"Then go and buy the book and read it yourself. I agree with Teru, Glencoe sounds like a good location for the film. However, now you are the producer and you need to make the final decision. It is a highly delightful book and even if you don't like reading, I think you'll enjoy this one,"he advises and I sigh.

"I guess I'll have to."

I've never been much of a reader. Yeah, surely I read the books I had to when I was in school and the books Grandma has made me read, but I don't read for pleasure even if I have time. I do love watching films, though, and after I watch one I usually think of reading the book just to see how it was adapted to the big screen. I never do, though.

Father is always reading books, trying to find a new project and if I'm going to end up fully taking his job, then I'll have to do the same. Finding potential in books that are not best sellers but that are even better than the ones everyone is reading.

"There's a lovely bookshop not so far from here,"Sol adds and I smile at her.

We live in Oxford because since Father studied in Oxford, he loved the city and decided to move here once he could buy a house he liked. Three years after he graduated and started his business, he found the house and now we all live here. He also has a flat in London where the headquarters of Tachibana Productions are, but this is our home, we always come back here.

"Really? Tell me where it is and I'll go tomorrow first thing to buy the book. I want to read it before the script is ready and the casting, as I'll also be present during that,"I say and she nods.

"Of course, Ann dear. I'll write you the directions and draw a little map,"she offers and I smile gratefully. The address was enough, but Sol is always like that, very detailed and trying to help as much as she can.

"Then I guess I'll leave you to finish your dinner. I'll also go get mine, I'm famished,"I say and Father nods. "Get rest, Otousan,"I bid him goodnight, bowing after standing up and walking out the room.

"Ann!"Sol calls when I'm crossing the door. "I made your favourite, leche nevada," she adds and my eyes widen in delight.

"Sol, you're an angel brought from South America. I love you,"I tell her and she laughs before shooing me with her hands.

I stroll to the kitchen where Mum has my food on the table and I run to sit. She is smiling as usual and then sits in front of me to keep me company.

Mum is an actress but hasn't got a part in a few years. She hasn't even tried. I guess she likes being home and waiting for us. Besides, for the last couple of years Father's health hasn't been great, after all he is sixty-five, so I guess she's worried and she prefers to be always available in case something goes wrong. She would never forgive herself is something happens to Father and she can't be there for him because she's shooting somewhere.

"Itadakimasu![3]" I exclaim before taking the first bite.

"Are you liking your job?"she asks as I eat my meal.

"Incredibly, yes. It's tiresome and not as glamorous as I thought, but maybe when we're shooting it'll be better."I smile at her and she bites her lower lip.

"My little girl, going to the office at just seventeen. I thought I would have you around for a few more years."

The original plan was I was going to go to college and get a Level 3 diploma. Not uni because well, no one has faith in me to go there, especially myself. But at least something that would give me more knowledge regarding the film industry. But then Father had the stroke and I had to cancel my plans and take charge of the business.

"I thought the same but here I am, working. I just hope I won't blow it up, Mum,"I confess and she reaches out to grab my hand.

"Ann, you'll be amazing. You'll do this and produce an incredible film, just like your father. And then he'll get better and you'll take things more slowly."She smiles encouragingly at me. "I know you're capable of so much, Ann. Believe in yourself a bit more, won't you?"

I look down. I wish I had Mum's confidence, but I have been nothing but failure after failure and after a while it sinks in your that you are indeed a failure. This is probably my last chance, my big exam and if I screw this up, then I can say bye-bye to inheriting Tachibana Productions.

No pressure, right?

_______________________

A/N: And here we go! New story. I hope you all will enjoy it. This story is based on Mulan and as you know, that one is not about romance so it gets a bit complicated to write a romance out of it. Also, due to its context it is very hard to imitate that in a story nowadays, especially the whole gender bender trying to pass for someone who doesn't exist. You know, there's the whole ID thing that technology can catch ASAP. So out of the four books, this is the less similar to the film. However, I did take key points to draw the outline. You'll see how that turns out.

On the multimedia, Ann's father. I'll keep presenting the cast as we proceed in the story.

Bel, xx