TWENTY-FIVE

Abigail sat behind her father's desk and read over the legal papers, the will, and everything else that had bearing on her and the newspaper. Since her talk with Nick, she had decided to sell the business, and she felt as if a heavy burden had been lifted from her shoulders. However, she needed to put things into action without upsetting Harry. He was like a big brother to her, and she didn't want to lose their relationship.

She walked around the desk to the door. Outside in the hallway, she stopped and searched for him. He stood with a few other men outside one of the offices. She motioned him over. Harry didn't appear overjoyed to see her, so she assumed he was still hurt or embarrassed that she'd rejected his marriage proposal the day before.

"Is there something you need?" he grumbled.

"Yes, Harry. I'd like to talk to you. I've come to a decision and I think we should discuss it." He nodded and walked into Abigail's office. Once she was sitting behind the desk, she smiled. "I have been doing some serious thinking since our talk yesterday."

"What have you decided?"

"I want to sell the newspaper to you."

His eyes widened and his mouth dropped open.

"You were right," she continued. "I cannot run a newspaper, but the plain and simple truth is, I don't want to."

Harry shook his head. "You don't?"

"No. This was my father's dream, not mine. So, in light of all of this, I've decided to sell it to you. Name your price, and I'll decide if it's something we can work out."

He walked around the desk and knelt by her side, taking her hand in his. "You don't have to do this, you know."

"Yes, I do. I don't want the burden, Harry. You deserve this newspaper. You worked beside my father for so many years, and you were his best friend. This place means everything to you—I can tell that." She stroked his hand affectionately. "I have but one request."

"What is that?"

"That you hire my uncle."

Harry scowled and jumped to his feet. "Why on earth would you want me to hire Alexander?"

Abigail chuckled. "Did you work with my uncle when he was here before?"

"When I hired on, your uncle was still here. I believe I worked with him for several months."

"Do you remember what kind of worker he was? Was he responsible? Dedicated?"

Harry frowned and stared at the floor. Abigail assumed he was trying to remember.

Finally, he raised his head and nodded. "I believe he was."

"My uncle has fallen on hard times, and I think he'll want to come back to the paper and work. I'm not going to make him partner or anything. That will be your decision as owner."

Harry nodded. "Why the change of heart?"

"I was kept in the dark about the real reason my father and Uncle Alexander parted ways." She tapped her finger on her chin. "Now I'm wondering if you know the real story, as well."

Slowly, Harry nodded. "I do."

"So you know what kind of woman my aunt was."

"Yes. She was very beautiful back in those days. She could tempt any man, but it seemed she had her eye on your father. Everyone at the newspaper knew it. She came almost every day to flaunt her new dress or new hat in front of him. She had your father targeted from the beginning. Did you know she was in love with him before he married your mother?"