TWENTY

It was time Nick fine-tuned his detective skills and started asking questions. Since Harry was teaching him how to work in a newspaper office, this was the perfect time to get to know the man. Harry didn't strike Nick as someone who would want to kill Abby, but he couldn't cross Harry off his suspects' list yet.

Somehow Nick had to find Alexander and his son, Anthony. The wife, Julie, probably wouldn't have been the killer, unless of course she was working with her husband or son. Nick had yet to see Cassandra, but once he did, he needed to keep an eye on her, too.

Nick and Harry stood by one of the many large printing machines. Long rolls of paper were hooked by a crane to the back of the machine and fed through, while slabs of typesetting graphs were held by another crane to stamp the paper as it revolved. It was a complicated contraption in the testing stage, and it usually took four men to run it, but right now it was only Nick and Harry.

"You catch on quickly," Harry said as he cranked the wheel to start the paper rolling.

"Thank you. I happen to think I'm quick at whatever I do." The machine started jerking and grinding loudly, so Nick tightened a screw. He had to raise his voice to be heard. "So tell me, Harry, how long have you been working here?"

"It'll be eight years next month."

"Congratulations. That's quite an accomplishment."

"Yes, it is. I met Edward when I was desperately looking for a job. Edward was such a kind man and must have seen some good in me. He didn't even know me, yet he put me to work."

Nick chuckled. "Then you've learned that trait from him, because that's what you're doing with me."

The man's face brightened. "Indeed I have. That's good to know."

"Abb—uh, Miss Carlisle tells me you were her father's best friend."

"I was. We became fast friends." Harry took a deep breath and released it slowly. "I'm going to miss that man. He was my mentor for so long, it's hard to think he'll never be here again."

"I wish I could have gotten to know him."

"You would have liked him."

"May I ask you a more personal question?"

Harry's brows lifted. "I suppose."

Nick paused, wondering how he could find out what he needed to know without coming right out and asking. And how could he act like he didn't have feelings for Abby himself? Heaven help him if he had to try to explain that to Harry. "I've noticed how much attention you're paying to Miss Carlisle, and I was wondering if you two are an item."

"An item?" He shook his head. "What exactly kind of item would we be?"

Nick groaned inwardly. "I mean, are you courting her?"

Harry released the wheel, and the machine shifted to a slow rumble. He shuffled his feet, his gaze darting everywhere but to Nick.

"I see you're uncomfortable with my question," Nick said.

"Yes, but I will answer you. I'm not courting her, although it's been on my mind lately."

"Why now?"

Harry leaned against the wall, arms folded across his chest. "You probably don't know this, but Miss Carlisle has been pampered, not only by her father but by most everyone at the newspaper. She's never been allowed to do anything for herself. We're her protectors."

Nick nodded. "Go on."

"Since Edward's death, Abigail has become very distraught. I fear for her state of mind. She has a lot of responsibility resting on her shoulders now, and she'll obviously need someone to help her. She won't be able to run the newspaper by herself because society won't allow a woman to do that."