Under the Sakura Tree | Ling x Reader

Written: 27-05-2021

Edited: 26-07-2021

Requested! ʕ ꈍᴥꈍʔ Further edits will be done in the future.
I really cannot churn out sad plots, you have been warned! 

»»—-—««

Above the top of the mountains lies the Hidden Land of the Dragon, enshrouded by clouds that safely obscured it from view and accessible through the Sky Arch. A training ground for the Oriental Fighters, the Great Dragon Palace is situated at the core of the land, a place where you called home.

Found wandering alone in the deep mountains at a young age, the Great Dragon took you under his wings and made you his disciple. You lived at the top of the palace, where a step into your room's balcony will provide you with a clear view of your surroundings. You enjoy the tranquillity it brings, your rest undisturbed when night falls.

As a disciple of the Great Dragon, you naturally spent the rest of your childhood growing up with Zilong, Ling and Chang'e, and they gradually became your family. There was a certain period where Ling disappeared, all traces of him carried away by the gentle breeze, and his existence soon ceased to exist. You were devastated because he left nothing behind, not even a simple notice.

Still trying to cope with the sadness, Ling shocked you with his sudden appearance on your balcony a few days later. As he decided to trek on the treacherous road to becoming the best assassin in the Cadia Riverlands, you soon pieced the reasons for his departure. Then on, it became a routine where he will drop by once every ten days.

Though, the assassin left out a part about his departure, figuring there is no reason to worry you. Holding you close to his heart, he could not foresee a day where you will return battered and bruised, or worse, dead, from the dangers that lurked outside your only haven. As such, he took it upon himself to eradicate the evil beings, momentarily becoming your guardian angel and cleansing the land of its impurities.

Gazing at the silent dark canvas decorated with twinkling incandescent orbs, you let out another lonely sigh as you stood beneath the giant sakura tree at the back of the palace, lightly bouncing on the balls of your feet. Though faint, your ears suddenly picked up the soft tappings against the ground, and your face broke out into a wide smile. He's here.

With a flap of his clothes, Ling once again graced your sight with his presence. His outfit void of creases ensures no one would fathom he was previously leaping through the air. Throwing your arms around him, you snuggled into his broad chest, enjoying his familiar scent and warmth to your heart's content. A gentle smile on his face, he gazed at you with rare tenderness and returned your hug by stroking your hair.

"A change of place, though?" Ling murmured, causing you to pull away from him with a sheepish look.

"Hehe, there's a reason why I asked for us to meet here." You gave a meek laugh before continuing. Well, here goes. "Truth is, I've... liked you all this while, for a long time. And I wonder if it's alright to hear how you feel about me too."

The assassin froze up upon your confession as the cogs and gears in his brain malfunctioned. With the uncomfortable silence growing between you two, it gave you an inkling of an undesirable outcome.

"(Y/N)..."Ling collected his thoughts before giving a concise reply. Gosh, no. "I'm...afraid I can't return your feelings. I hope you understand."

Oh. "Mmm, it's fine... I appreciate your response." Balling your fists behind your back, you softly replied as you tried your hardest to prevent Ling from catching the slight waver in your voice.