Chapter 30

The next night, Hudson, Bronx, and Angela all ended up in Brooklyn. There was still no sign of them.

David and Fox went out again. It was something they couldn't avoid. It was Elisa's night off and she was visiting the castle to see how things were going here. She went up to talk to Sil and found none of the gargoyles there. Not even Bronx.

Owen told Elisa that he needed someone to watch Alex for a few hours while he had to go look at security precautions and some business affairs.

"Chamberlain needs to get something to eat. Can Elisa watch Alex?" Sil asked.

"Yes, of course. He seems to like you." she said.

"Yes. Does. Be back soon." Sil stated and left the nursery. It was a warmer night for once and Sil had only his lightest robes on.

Elisa held Alex and talked to him some while waiting for Sil to come back.
...............

Demona was on the outside wall. She had something big strapped to her back. She looked inside and saw her most hated rival, Elisa Maza, holding a red-haired toddler. Demona didn't know that Xanatos had a child now. She barely watched TV herself she was so busy. But this night, she was going to have some revenge!

She took up a position on the outside and took the bazooka off her back. She aimed on the outside wall of the nursery. She fired.

There was an explosion on the wall. It was so loud that it could be heard all over the castle and upper floors. Sil heard it from the kitchen. He went to go see what it was.

Elisa had covered young Alex with her body. They were both thrown across the room. Elisa's back had hit the wall while still covering Alex. The kid started crying at the top of his lungs, he was so scared at what happened.

Demona now stepped into the room. She saw the detective on the floor, now unconscious, with a crying baby in her hands. She glared and walked over to them.

"This is the end, Detective Maza! Tonight, I rectify all that has gone wrong in my life." Demona growled at her. She started to take aim on Elisa and Alex.

Chamberlain made it back to the nursery. He couldn't believe what he was seeing. There was a great big, gaping hole in the wall. Then, he noticed on the far wall, Demona was holding a bazooka over Elisa.

His face turned into shock. After what she had tried to do to him, he was going to get his revenge too!

He snuck around behind her and using some of the stuff taught to him in training, he slammed into her from behind. "Leave... them... alone!" he yelled.

Demona instantly dropped the bazooka, but now she was having to try to fight off the angry Skeksis. She turned to face him. "If you defend these humans, then you are an enemy now, Chamberlain!"

"Never was your ally to begin with!" Sil growled at her. He held his talons ready. He didn't always carry his dagger with him in the castle. This time, he was fighting hand to hand.

They began to circle one another. Sil tried to remember his training that he had about gargoyles. She was much bigger than Gelfling and she could offer him a good challenge, but she was immortal, and he wasn't. He also wasn't quite as young as he used to be.

She charged at him and one of her taloned hands tried going for his throat. Her eyes glowed red.

He saw her move and moved out of the way, to his right. He wasn't used to fighting a female gargoyle. He had only seen a male's eyes glow white most of the time whenever he saw their eyes glow. Not that he hadn't seen Angela's eyes glow.

Elisa managed to wake up again for a moment, and she pulled out her gun, while trying to manage. She saw what was going on. She aimed on Demona.

The bullet missed Demona, but it distracted them both. Chamberlain saw another chance and he tripped her up with his tail. It knocked her down onto her back. She snarled.