Chapter 24

The city was in major shock over the explosion that had happened. There were some folks who didn't really care because it was the Quarrymen that had been taken out. But there were others who greatly cared, especially their families.

On the news, District Attorney, Margo Yale talked that whoever set the grenade should turn themselves in, or that eventually, they would be found. The woman didn't like bombs of any kind in her city.

Later in the day, Owen confronted the Chamberlain about it.

"You were responsible for the Quarrymen building going up, weren't you, Chamberlain?" the man demanded.

"Whatever you mean?" Sil played him.

"I know you looked up that address again. You wanted to take the Quarrymen out, didn't you?"

"So, what if did? Didn't mean Chamberlain did it."

"I am a magical being, Chamberlain, underneath this human facade. I know things. I can find out things easily compared to the average human or mortal for that matter. I know you did it."

Sil glared at the butler firmly.

Owen knew he had the Skeksis right where he wanted him.

Sil sighed. "Fine! What if did?"

"Because it was murder, despite what they did to you and Lexington." Owen said.

"Much more that that! To whole clan!" Sil exclaimed. "Got rid of for clan's protection. I not hesitate like gargoyles do to kill evil humans! I get they want protect them, but ones like Quarrymen, not need protection. They need destroying." Sil explained.

"I can agree with you, but it doesn't mean to actually go and do it."

"Not tell gargoyles of it. I know they not approve of me doing it. Nor Elisa. Just did for clan's own good." Sil proclaimed. "Please?" Sil's eyes softened. He was pleading with him for him not to tell the clan or Elisa.

Owen thought it over for a moment. "Alright."

"Good."

"But where did you get the bomb to take them out?" Owen asked.

"Armory." Sil replied.

Owen knew that that would have to be fixed. Those grenades would have to be removed, as well as other weapons put in a more hidden place where Sil couldn't find them. They weren't his to take.

................

Over the next week, the city began to prepare for Halloween, while some of the city was still in mourning for their loved ones that died in the explosion. Castaway would not be missed though, at least not by the ones that had been hunted by him.

The young gargoyles discussed what they were going to go as. They were going to chance going out with the Quarrymen now out of the picture. Sil wanted to be in on that action too. He wanted to go out on the town too.

The city mourned their losses but were not going to let it stop the fun from happening, considering how it was closest to the spirit world on that one night, or so it said it was.

Brooklyn planned to go as a biker, Lex and Broadway were going to go as what they were before. Angela was going to go as a princess.

But David came to the clan and told them that it was much too dangerous for them to go out among the humans this year, for what had happened. There were still some that begrudged the gargoyles, thinking they had something to do with it.

Chamberlain still really wanted to go out on the streets and just walk around town on street level, as himself. It was the one night where they could.

"Sil, we really shouldn't take the chance." Brooklyn tried to coax him into not pushing it.